Can we pass a parameter to the Join URL to prevent the automatic download of Zoom.pkg?

Hello, to open Zoom without redirecting a user off of the current page, I load the “join URL” in a hidden iframe. I see that others do the same thing in this thread on the Zoom developer forum: Recording playback URLs started returning X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN, breaking our iframe embedding

This has worked well, but I noticed that first-time users in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox will see Zoom.pkg getting downloaded automatically by their browser.

A feature request: I’d like to add a download=false parameter to the Join URL (example: https://zoom.us/j/111222333?download=false) to prevent that automatic download from happening. Would that be possible? This would help build trust with users who would not expect the download to happen.

Hey @lucas.cioffi,

Use the Zoom Web Client join link instead of the default join link:

Thanks,
Tommy

Thank you for writing @tommy. I gave your suggestion a shot, but I don’t think it will be sufficient.

With the Web client join link I noticed that Zoom opens up in the browser, but if I pass in the regular join URL I can make the app open (preferred because it’s a more immersive experience).

Is there another work around? If not, can we create a new feature request for adding a download=false parameter to the join URL? Thank you!

Hey @lucas.cioffi,

I am confused about your use case. Do you want your users to use the Native Zoom App installed on their machines? What if they do not have the app installed?

For opening the Native Zoom App directly, checkout this article:

Thanks,
Tommy

Hello @tommy, some users will not have Zoom installed, so I can’t use the “zoomus:” protocol.

If they don’t have Zoom installed, then I’d like nothing to happen so they can then then click the help button in our UI. Once they do that, they will have an easy way to download Zoom.

I think this is a better experience than having each user experiencing an unexpected download.

Thanks for the explanation @lucas.cioffi!

You could attempt to use the “zoomus:” and if nothing happens, then show your help button.

I will check if there is a way to bypass the automatic download.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thank you @tommy. Programatically, how can I tell if Zoom doesn’t launch for the user? Thank you.

Hey @lucas.cioffi,

You could see if the browser window goes into the foreground or not.

Unfortunately at this time there is no way to bypass the download via a query param or setting.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hello Tommy, if I go to this link (substituting the meeting ID and password) in the browser, should Zoom open?
zoomus://zoom.us/join?confno=123456789&pwd=xxxx

Instead when I put that in Chrome and Firefox, I’m taken to Google. In Safari I see “Safari can’t open the specified address”.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thank you!

HI Tommy,
I want zoom meeting detail or just a join button on my Html website. I dont need a Client on my website. So when user clicks on Join it will redirect to meeting or registration form.