Canvas and Zoom LTI Pro Meeting Import via CSV

Description
I am a Canvas Admin who recently completed the Zoom LTI Pro Integration and added the Calendar function. I am most interested in the ability to import meetings created outside of Zoom LTI Pro via CSV upload. I have already been in contact with Zoom support staff who told me to post my questions here.
They are not able to help. My question has two parts:

1. The import requires “Context ID” and the identifying factor for importing meetings. This ID is not an easy number to obtain in Canvas. Thanks to the help of another Canvas user who wrote this blog post and shared a PowerScript to obtain this ID I was able to extract the ID. Is there is an easier way to obtain the context ID?

2. After running the script and obtaining the Context ID, I was able to successfully import several meetings into various courses. Unfortunately, it did not create a calendar event for any of the meetings I imported.

Error

1. No specific error just want to let the developer know that the context ID is an inconvenient reference number for Canvas there is no report you can pull to obtain this ID, it took a script to obtain it. Also, is there a known easier way to obtain this number?

2. The error is that when importing meetings via CSV they do not create calendar events, I had tested this with post reoccurring meetings and single instance meetings, and neither created calendar events in Canvas. I have been able to manually import meetings and they successfully created meeting invites so the integration is set up correctly.

Which App?
Zoom LTI Pro integrated with Canvas LMS, I also completed the calendar integration (but not conversations)

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Set up Zoom LTI Pro WIth Canvas.
  2. Import Meetings Via CSV
  3. No Calendar event created.

Additional context
I have been in contact with my Canvas Accounts support who can not help and said to contact Zoom, I have then been in contact with Zoom support who elevated the issue and could not help me. I know other users who want these tools to work and would be interested in the outcome.

Thanks!

Hey @cborja ,

Happy to help! Would you be able to checkout this thread and confirm if it is the same issue you have?

If so, we are working to allow easier import of Zoom meetings into LTI Pro.

(LTI Pro docs for reference: https://zoomappdocs.zoom.us/lti-pro-v2/welcome/getting-started)

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy ,

We do not have the same issue. They were using an API to create the meetings we are fine with manually importing to Canvas via CSV. I basically had one comment/suggestion and one issue

Comment/Suggestion1 - The CSV import creation is not easy to create since you have to use a script to obtain the “Context ID” from the Canvas system. There is no way to get this information via reports from Canvas. Is there any way to use another reference number for the import like course ID? This would make the tool much easier to use.

Issue 1 - When importing meetings via CSV they do not create calendar events, I had tested this with both reoccurring meetings and single instance meetings, and neither created calendar events in Canvas. I have been able to manually import meetings and they successfully created meeting invites so the integration is set up correctly.

The issue with calendar events is what I would most like help with. The question/suggestion is just feedback on the useability of the feature we have found a workaround using a PowerScript.

Best,

Claire

Hey @cborja ,

Thanks for the clarification! I have asked our LTI Pro experts if auto calendar events after importing meetings is supported. I will get back to you with an update soon. (ZOOM-258517)

-Tommy

Thank you @tommy I look forward to a response. I would like to know soon, as otherwise, I will be manually importing meeting links.

Best,
Claire

Hey @cborja ,

I should have an update for you shortly, as we are in the process of looking into this.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

Just replying to keep this thread open. I am actually using the difference of manual vs CSV import to my advantage as we have courses we don’t want the calendar events to be created for and some we would like them created for. I look forward to hearing more soon.

Best,

Claire

Thanks @cborja ! :slight_smile:

We will keep you updated.

-Tommy

@tommy just keeping this thread active. Thanks!

Thanks @cborja! We will keep you updated. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.