Could you please help with this API? - Locking Meetings to a specific list of email addresses

Hello! Full disclosure - I don’t know how to use APIs with Zoom (or at all) but someone on my team may be able to or we will hire someone. I’m at a loss as to how to accomplish what we need to do but read a post in this forum that leads me to believe this community may have some advice. So thank you very much in advance!

Problem: I have an organization that needs to lock meetings to a list of specific email addresses that we have (a group of online students).

Notes:

1. We don’t have SSO for the org so I don’t think we can leverage org authentication and can’t lock the list to specific domains as students have domains from many places
  2. We can’t use OnZoom because we have students attending outside of the U.S.

This forum post (Restricting who can join a meeting - #5 by tommy) seems to indicate that this API (https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/meetings/meetingregistrantcreate) could be used to restrict attendees to specific emails but I have no idea where to start. I am the Zoom admin in our system so if it’s something I could do with fairly basic steps (I’m good at following directions! :grinning:), I’m happy to try!

Does anyone have ideas they could share? Again, please forgive my likely very basic question and I very much appreciate your help!

Hi @rysavym,

Welcome back to the forum.

Could you clarify your exact use case here? Do you have a custom application that has been written to create meetings, or are you just referring to scheduling meetings using the normal Zoom application or website?

There are certainly ways to restrict meetings to specific people, and I’d be more than happy to help :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Alex

Hello! Thanks for your reply!

I am referring to scheduling using the normal Zoom app - though I’m certainly up to picking up something new or having something programmed depending on the budget necessary (don’t a hard ceiling on this yet as we’re just beginning to explore).

Please let me know if I can share any additional details!

No problem.

So this forum is specifically for the Zoom SDKs, not the regular Zoom client.

When scheduling a meeting the usual way on Zoom, you are able to enable registration for meetings. A tutorial can be found here: Setting up registration for a meeting – Zoom Help Center

This prevents people from just using the meeting ID and password to join, and you can set it up to manually approve each registration.

If you need further help with this, I’d recommend contacting Zoom support as they are more experienced with the client :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!
Alex

I appreciate your quick reply. Unfortunately, I’ve hit an extremely dead-end with Zoom support, which leads me to think we may need to work with something custom. I’m familiar with Registration, but since I need to have a specific set of students with already provided email addresses - i.e. a student roster -set up to attend a Zoom meeting with those email addresses - self-registration doesn’t work since they could provide any email address they want.

Is there a forum where I could reach out to developers for a custom solution?

Thanks again!

Hey @rysavym,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I’m happy to help out here!
You can get started with the introduction to our API found here:

When it comes to authentication, please see our guide on OAuth Apps, or JWT Apps

To test it all out, I recommend looking at our documentation on testing APIs with Postman. Postman is a tool that allows you to use APIs easily and we have a collection that contains most of our APIs to get you started.

On top of that, you can test a specific API using the Send a Test Request section at the bottom of each page of our API documentation:

Now, to answer your question:

If you have a list of emails for participants that should be in the meeting, enabling registration is a good route. You’re on the right track in terms of the Add Meeting Registrant API too. Here’s a flow that might work for you:

1. Create a meeting with manual registration enabled. This can be done with the Create a Meeting API or through the Zoom Web Portal.

2. Using the Meeting UUID returned from that API call, you can loop through the list of emails that you have and call the Add Meeting Registrant API for each one

In this way, you can programmatically ensure that only the emails on the list that you have are allowed into the meeting. Users will then use the unique link to join the meeting that is emailed to them in the registration confirmation email.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.