GET meeting start time/date without it being your own meeting

Description
I am trying to GET the start time and date of a Zoom meeting for a certain {meetingID}, while I am not the owner/creator.

Error
When making the request, I get a 400 Bad request error.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
I am making a GET request to: https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/{meetingId}

Additional context
Now I am wondering if it is even possible to make such a request for a meeting that is not yours.

Hi @diederiklensink,

Welcome to the community!

You’re using the JWT method for authentication which only allows access to the account it is created on.

You need to use the OAuth method for accessing others accounts.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi, thanks for you reply!

The reason I chose for the JWT method was that you constantly need to generate a new token, and for a bot I thought that maybe was not the most efficient way.

Anyway I will try your method and see if it works.

Thanks,
Diederik

Hey @diederiklensink,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I can confirm that @alexmayo is correct. If you want to call an API on behalf of another account, you’ll want to use an OAuth App. Please note, in order for users on other accounts to be able to install the app it will need to be published to the marketplace.

Here’s some more info:

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

2 Likes

Hi @MaxM,

To give you some more context, I am making a discord bot which reads the meeting id from a website and uses this to see when this meeting will start. Five minutes or so before it starts the bot will send a message with how to join. The problem now is, how to let this bot get this starttime all by itself, because I cannot just simply send a GET or POST request to the specific endpoint without this token being a final value it can use. Anyhow, I am struggling to make it collect the access token, which shows that authorization page before it redirects you and I am not sure how to make that work in the same code.

Hey @diederiklensink,

Thank you for providing more detail. I haven’t worked with Discord bots before so I looked into how this can be done but I wasn’t able to find any solid steps on using an external OAuth flow with a Discord bot.

I’m not sure if this would be possible with just a Discord bot. You may want to create a website that is able to handle the OAuth flow for zoom and serve as an API for your bot. You can create a public facing link to your site that redirects to the authorization URL and manage the access_token from that site.

I’m not sure if that would work for your use case. You might also be able to accomplish this with just a Discord bot but I’m not seeing how on my end.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @MaxM,

It has been a while but I have gotten something working to try if my idea is even possible.
I encountered a new problem, because I now get the error message: “This API is only available for Business or higher accounts that have enabled the Dashboard feature.” Does this mean you cannot just make a GET request to a meeting that is not yours? By the way, I used the /metrics/meetings/{meetingId} endpoint for this one, because if I used the normal /meetings/ it would give me the “Meeting {meetingId} is not found or has expired.”, so I think that one is only for meetings created on you own account.

Thanks,
Diederik

Hey @diederiklensink,

I’m glad to hear that you’re making progress! When it comes to calling the Get Meeting Details Dashboard API, you will want to make sure that the account calling it has a business plan or higher.

However, the Dashboard APIs are mainly used for live meetings, depending on what you provide for the type parameter. If you want information about a meeting but you don’t require specific details about a live meeting, you can use the Get a Meeting API.

I’ll also note that while the app you’re creating has not been published on the marketplace, it can only be installed on your account.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.