Google Play rejected app update because of handling users' Phone Number information from READ_PHONE_STATE permissions without a prominent disclosure

My team and I have an issue when submitting a new version of app on Google Play. We got rejected due to the issue “Phone number from READ_PHONE_STATE permission” without prominent disclosure. 2 things I want to know:

1. When should we request READ_PHONE_STATE permission at runtime ?
  2. If user denies permission, should we stop user’s video call session ?

@trinhcu18 ,

An incoming phone call will occupy the Bluetooth audio device when it occurs during an ongoing session. After the call ends, the session does not receive the Bluetooth audio device back. Therefore, the READ_PHONE_STATE permission allows us to reconnect to the Bluetooth audio device after a phone call ends. We are not using the user’s phone number in any way.

Thanks!
Boon Jun.

1 Like

Hi @boonjun.tan ,

Thanks for your reply, it’s much appreciated.

Fortunately, our application has already been approved by the Google Play team.

For anyone who has the same matter, I would like to explain how we resolved it

We added a prominent disclosure dialog explaining why we need READ_PHONE_STATE permission

If an incoming phone call occurs during an ongoing Zoom meeting session, the READ_PHONE_STATE permission allows us to reconnect to the Bluetooth audio device after a phone call ends

and do not use users’ phone numbers. The dialog must be shown as soon as a user logins and one more time after the user opens the Zoom meeting screen (only if the user hasn’t allowed the READ_PHONE_STATE permission yet).
We also had to record our app flow and sent the video to the Google Policy Team to prove that we do show the prominent closure dialog to users before requesting the READ_PHONE_STATE permission.

Hope our information is helpful.

1 Like

Hi @boonjun.tan ,
Recently, we updated the Zoom meeting SDK version from 5.9.0 to 5.14.10 in our app and then uploaded a new version to Google Play Store for review. But this version got rejected by Google due to ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION permission which was added in zoom meeting 5.13.10
Now, we need to add a prominent disclosure to explain how we use users’ GPS location data in our app.
Could you please give us more information about how zoom SDK use ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION and ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION, so we can add them to the prominent disclosure.

Thanks a lot!
Nguyễn.

Hi @trinhcu18,

We added those for connection to Bluetooth headsets. For more information, refer to the Android developer documentation on this here.

Cheers!

2 Likes

We are also facing a similar issue with the Zoom SDK using ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION and ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION permissions. Our app is getting rejected, and we will have to add a Prominent disclosure explaining why we are using these permissions for?

@zoom1234 could you provide us with more details regarding this?

Thanks.

Hi @shmohd,

As mentioned in my previous statement, we are using those 2 permissions for connection to Bluetooth headsets.

Thank you.

1 Like