How to disable others' drawing when host sharing whiteboard?

when the host sharing whiteboard,other attendees could also draw on the board,how to disable others’ operation? And we want to know is there any method that designate one attendee to drawing on the board.

当主持人共享白板时可不可以不允许其他人在白板上绘画,或者有没有让主持人能够指定只能某个参会者可以绘画的功能。

Hey @289164382, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

For questions unrelated to the Zoom API and App Marketplace, please reach out to support.zoom.us.

Thanks,
Tommy

Sorry to do this here–I understand it’s a developers’ forum–but right now it seems like the best option. I deduce from the OP’s English and Mandarin (which I can affirm is the Chinese equivalent of the OP’s question), that, like me, the OP is a new user in China. Zoom in China (zoom.com.cn) is separate from U.S. Zoom, I assume due to the Chinese government’s requirements for doing business in China’s telecom sector. Additionally, Zoom in China’s web site–which includes a 100% English interface–has posted a notice (only in Mandarin!) that Zoom Pro will also be free for the duration of the coronavirus control measures. Since all educational institutions in China have been required to hold classes online and to close their campuses to all education-related activities, my guess is that, starting next Monday, March 2, millions of new Zoom users will go online at the same time in China to attend and teach classes. That includes my institution.

In that case, we new users who are responsible for managing large groups of other new Zoom-China users would like to be able to determine best and correct practices in a timely manner. Unfortunately, at Zoom-China, I don’t see the equivalent of support.zoom.us that @tommy recommended. There may in fact be some kind of support in the areas of the web site that are in Mandarin, but even so, if such support personnel’s level of English makes support inefficient, then groups of non-Chinese speakers in China will underserve those they’re responsible to. Even Zoom’s U.S. support requires 24 hours for users’ questions regarding basic functionality, let alone best practices.

My group isn’t up to the task of advising regarding best practices, just a lot of reports of “what works for me.” That’s mostly fine, I guess, but to avoid unfortunate interruptions to our classes, it would be most helpful to have an online support group, where more knowledgeable users can mix with the n00bs and manage the forum to maximize a wide spectrum of assistance while minimizing redundancy. Individual support tickets–even if they’re possible in China–would hardly be the best way to do that for the reasons stated above.

So I’d like to make a request: can a separate, temporary category be added to this forum? Something like: “Temporary Support in Solidarity with Our Friends in China.” This voluntary act could be of great benefit if there are enough experienced users out there willing to donate their expertise. Or maybe there will just be very few users like me who wish to ensure the smoothest possible experience for their students in a trying situation while most people just make do cobbling together a teaching situation that at least rises above a certain threshold. In that case, maybe a bona fide developer expert or two would be willing to contribute a bit to this suggested help effort for ex-pats and foreigners.

1 Like

Hey @eeee, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

This is a good idea, but we already have infrastructure in place to support all questions from Zoom China users.

Simply submit your questions here: https://support.zoom.us/requests/new or cnsupport@zoomus.zendesk.com

In the meantime I will discuss with our team about opening up a support line here.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Thanks for considering. I should add that it’s quite likely that Chinese students would use such a forum–they have their teachers who constantly help them. Given its English interface and that Zoom U.S. is a separate signup from Zoom China, it would likely be only a rather small number of English-speaking ex-pats who’d every show up here.

Hey @eeee,

I see the value of having a generic Zoom forum. However we are going to keep this forum reserved for questions about our App Marketplace and APIs.

That being said, I am happy to assist with any questions asked.

Thanks,
Tommy

OK, here’s the question that came up in our group that was too technical to know the answer:

If I have 3 classes that meet 2 times a week for 15 weeks, it seems natural to use the meeting scheduler to schedule all these recurring meetings in advance. I did that, and it was easy enough. But we have another newbie who simply intends to provide his personal ID to all his students so that the personal meeting stays open 24/7 for 15 weeks. People pile in there and leave as needed and can continue to use the meeting when the teacher’s not there for their own course-related purposes. This amounts to the analog of a physical classroom where everyone knows the schedule and enters and leaves on time. Students, of course, are happy to leave promptly so there’s no issue for them of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting confused. Plus, students naturally use empty classrooms unattended by any teacher for their own study and review purposes.

Can you comment on the pros and cons of this way of using Zoom for classes? One immediate concern: certainly, recording the session becomes infeasible. Does the system support partial recordings of the personal meeting room so that the room’s owner can turn on and turn off recording as needed?

Hey @eeee, good question.

Either works. Personally for my meetings I use the personal meeting ID every time to make it easier to manage.

As for partial recording, the owner can start and stop recording at any time during the meeting.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

We face a rather serious technical issue that’s causing chaos in our planning. Many of our teachers are residents of other countries who will not travel to China this semester for the obvious reasons. Many others are residents of China. Students are all scattered around China. The pattern observed so far is: when teacher and student are both located inside China, Zoom works acceptably. It remains to be seen how well Zoom China will continue to function when a lot of users go online with it when the Chinese educational institutions all open for online classes in two days.

Our international users have been reporting that Zoom is far less reliable for them when communicating with users inside China. It’s also not clear if it makes a difference to use the Zoom client downloaded from Zoom or Zoom China, This info is just based on a small number of experiences, as it is difficult to arrange systematic tests to find the best way for this group to operate Zoom. Is it possible to get some real Zoom IT-staff kind of advice for the best ways and expectations of how Zoom will function between users inside and outside China? I mean, in addition to common sense, there might be other issues at play–such as the Great Firewall–that affect performance. If Zoom and Zoom China aren’t completely separated from each other, I’m hoping to get some inside advice as to best practices and what we can reasonably expect from the UX for students in random suburban locations across the country when their teachers are outside China.

Another technical question; are there any issues with installing both the Zoom-China and the Zoom-U.S. clients on the same computer? Zoom-China’s free client has been upgraded to have no time limit on group meetings, which is essential for holding classes.

Hi @eeee, as @tommy suggested, it might be best to bring these questions to cnsupport@zoomus.zendesk.com. You’ll get the best direct advice on this on that support line.

If you are looking for a way to monitor and run tests on network reliability, we do provide a Dashboard API to give Meeting Participant Quality of Service data.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that help desk, which I hope can support Zoom China. When I tried the frontline support via browser chat, they knew nothing about the Chinese side of Zoom.

The Meeting Participant Quality of Service reports, “Only available for paid account that have enabled the dashboard feature.” We’re free users in China. In fact, Zoom China’s web site doesn’t allow signing up for a paid account. You have to contact them, then make individualized arrangements. I assume this is to ensure compliance with China’s telecom usage laws.

EDIT: Dashboard does not appear in our Zoom China logins. We do have a bunch of admin features, which I’m guessing cover that territory, but they are all disabled on Zoom China’s free accounts.

1 Like

Hey @eeee,

Correct, the Quality of Service are only for paid accounts.

Please let us know if you are getting the support you need from cnsupport@zoomus.zendesk.com.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

I emailed that help desk 48 hours ago, and have still not received any response.

Hey @eeee,

What was the ticket number or subject line of the email?

-Tommy

The subject line of the email was “Zoom China vs. Zoom U.S. bandwidth and installation issues.”

The time stamp was March 1, 2020 at 8:59am, China time.

Hey @eeee,

I don’t think I have access to Zoom China Support because I cannot find your ticket.

Can you try sending it to support@zoom.us or support.zoom.us?

Thanks,
Tommy

OK, I’ve forwarded the original email to support@zoom.us

1 Like

Thanks @eeee,

The support team should be with you soon.

-Tommy

1 Like

Hey @eeee,

You can also use: https://support.zoom.us/hc/zh-cn for support.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like