How to handle internet disconnection properly

Currently, If a remote participant disconnects from internet for few seconds and then reconnects, then he is not able to hear other participant audio and video.
What should be the proper way to handle internet disconnection?

Hey @shoaib

Thanks for your feedback.

Failover processing has been integrated in the Video SDK. If it’s just a slight network thrashing and recovers quickly, it will trigger connection-change event, if the network is disconnected for a long time, the user should rejoin the session.

Thanks
Vic

Hey @vic.yang,

So I’m just disconnecting from wifi for around 20s seconds and reconnecting back, In such cases, video resumes back fine but seems like my audio gets disconnected or something as I’m not able to hear remote participant but they are able to hear and see me fine.

Do I need to call startAudio() or something, after reconnecting back?

I have a weird behavior with “failover”. The host ends the session, thus I imagine all users should be disconnected? Howerer, the client receives ‘Reconnecting’ before and restarts.

hey @vic.yang,
can you please take a look into this as auto reconnection on internet disconnection was one of the feature because of which we switched to zoom video sdk.

Also, we have tested the same scenario in sample app, the issue is there as well. (video gets resumed but audio doesn’t get reconnected)

Hey @shoaib , @ol_mas ,

Happy to investigate this further. Can I ask which browser you are using and which video SDK version?

Thanks,
Tommy

Video SDK Version: 1.2.0
Browser: Chrome (Version 99.0.4844.51 (Official Build) (x86_64))

1 Like

Thanks @shoaib , we will take a look!

-Tommy

Chrome: Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Video SDK Version: 1.2.0

1 Like

Hey @ol_mas

Thanks for your feedback.

We have found the cause of the issue, and it will be fixed in the next release. (ZOOM-357689)

Thanks
Vic

1 Like

Hey @shoaib

We have some issues with reconnecting the audio after session failover, and it will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks
Vic

2 Likes

I think in 1.2.3 reconnecting back on Failover is working fine, Thanks @tommy @vic.yang!

But I have one question, It seems like after failover state comes the Fail State (i.e. state: 'Fail', reason: 'connection error'), and I noticed that when this state arises, no reconnection happens,
Is it like that only? and If its that then Why not just disconnect the user from the session (for remote participants also) on Fail State?

Hey @shoaib

The state:'Fail',reason:'connection error') return value indicates the video sdk cannot reach any available servers. It usually occurs when the network is disconnected.

And for why others can still see the disconnected user in the session, our server has a hearbeat detection mechanism, when the disconnection exceeds two minutes, the user will be shown as leaving(disappeared in the user list).

We do this so that others don’t see you rejoining the session due to a short-term network disconnection or network switch.

Thanks
Vic

1 Like

So, according to you If we reconnect within those two minutes, SDK will reconnect, Is that so? Because I’ve tried it and as soon as state:'Fail',reason:'connection error' this value gets returned (which is mostly within 30 seconds itself) no reconnection happens after that.

Note: We are currently using private environment for testing.

Hey @shoaib

Two minutes is the time others see you disappear from the user list if you don’t rejoin the session.

Video SDK will attempt to reconnect the session once the socket is closed, and if it still can not connect, will return ‘connection error’. So when you get the state:‘Fail’,reason:‘connection error’ error, you should rejoin the session manually. Hope this explanation can help you.

Thanks
Vic

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @vic.yang !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.