How to send chat messages to Everyone (in Waiting Room)?

Description
The Host can send messages to all users in a meeting’s waiting room by selecting To: Everyone (in Waiting Room) from the chat pane in the desktop app. How can this be done with the Windows Client SDK?

Which version?

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Start a meeting with the Client SDK which has the waiting room enabled and auto admit waiting room users turned off. Have a user join the waiting room but do not admit them. Try to use the SDK’s chat controller to send a message to all users in the waiting room only (not all users in the meeting).

Screenshots
N/A

Device (please complete the following information):
Windows 10 Desktop

Additional context
When the host sends messages to everyone in the waiting room a chat event is fired for user 4294967295 (seems to be a special user ID, like 0 means “Everyone (in meeting)”). However, trying to call SendChatTo() with this userID fails with SDKERR_INVALID_PARAMETER.

1 Like

Hey @apresence,

Thanks for using the dev forum!

Unfortunately, there is not currently an interface for this behavior. I will update this thread if that changes in the future.

Thanks!
Michael

Michael,

Just a suggestion: It seems it would be pretty easy to implement this feature by using the existing SendChatTo() method with the special ID 4294967295 to send messages to waiting room participants. This special value is clearly already being used internally by the client library anyway (see my initial message).

Thanks!

Thank you @apresence. That is a good point.
Michael

Is there any update on this feature in the sdk?

Hey @ashgreen,

No updates quite yet.

Thanks!
Michael

Dear Sirs,
I supposed I’ve read of this feature (sending messages to participants in the Waiting Room) in a SDK release note. Is it correct it is not available?
Thanks

Hi @precisao,

This is supported in the latest version of the SDK. To send chat to the waiting room you would need to set the message type to SDKChatMessageType_To_WaitingRoomUsers.

Thanks!

Hi Jon.
Thank you for making it clear.

You are welcome!

Please don’t hesitate to reach back out in a new topic with any additional questions. :slightly_smiling_face: