I'm not receiving participant_user_id when a call List meeting participants endpoint

API Endpoint(s)
List meeting participants endpoint

Description
I’m not receiving the participant_user_id field in participants array when I call GET /metrics/meetings/:meetingId/participants.

Let me give you an example:

Before yesterday (2023-02-27) that We found this problem, the result of the list meeting participants endpoint was something like that:

{
    "page_count":1,
    "page_size":300,
    "total_records":32,
    "next_page_token":"",
    "participants":[
       {
          "id":"lJOpz8HaT3yAU4BBXfgezg",
          "user_id":"16778240",
          "participant_user_id":"lJOpz8HaT3yAU4BBXfgezg",
          "user_name":"Username1"
       },
       {
          "id":"qt9JboWLTESh-J3tF5nUTA",
          "user_id":"16783360",
          "participant_user_id":"qt9JboWLTESh-J3tF5nUTA"
       }
    ]
}

but now the result is like that:

{
    "page_count":1,
    "page_size":300,
    "total_records":32,
    "next_page_token":"",
    "participants":[
       {
          "id":"",
          "user_id":"16778240",
          "user_name":"Username1"
       },
       {
          "id":"",
          "user_id":"16783360"
       }
    ]
}

So, the field participant_user_id is missing from the response and the id is always empty.

• All the users that joined the meeting was logged into Zoom. This is important, because the participant_user_id is just filled if the user are logged into Zoom.
  • I found this topic that are very similar to my issue, but in their case, the problem is about the webhooks
  • Only the participants are internal users in my organization account have the participant_user_id field with a value.

So, if you can help me, I really appreciate. Thank you

5 Likes

Hi @jean.vasconcelos
Thanks for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum!
We are currently investigating this issue, it appears this was a change on our end to fix some bugs we had in some endpoints, learn more about it here:

I will come back to you with any updates about this
Best,
Elisa

2 Likes

Hello @elisa.zoom ,

I know Zoom team are handling this issue, but while It’s not fixed I’d like to know:

1. Is there a timeframe for the issue to be resolved?
  2. Can I talk to someone to help me to understand if it is possible to implement another solution that skips the endpoint that presents the problem?

Thank you

1 Like

I just noticed this issue when polling for live meeting information. I used the participant_user_id to match people up in my database for pre-loading breakout rooms and taking attendance. I see this has been an open issue for about a month. Is there any update? I could really use the information reinstated. Thank you!

Hi @usmtech
If the participants are guests (users that do not belong to your account), the participant_user_id is going to be empty, this is an expected behavior

When the email address was removed for guests (understandable given GDPR), I began using participant_user_id to identify accounts for attendance purposes. It was working fine for guest accounts up through February. Now it’s missing, and it’s “an expected behavior?” Did I miss the change in the release notes?

Are there other fields slated to go missing? (Probably IP is next, as GDPR considers that PII.) These changes severely reduce the usefullness of the reporting API. Now there is no good way to uniquely identify the report records.

In the release notes for the last of the 5.13 series, there was a note that there would be a way to ask the guests to voluntarily enter their email address. I haven’t seen any controls for it. What’s the status of that?

And weirdly, I have been seeing email addresses show up in the report for some guest accounts. Maybe it’s a partial implementation?

Is there a definitive guide which spells out which fields are included for guests where all of these changes are tracked? Every time there is a change, it breaks my API code. It would be helpful to know ahead of time.

Hi @usmtech
Thank you so much for sharing more details with me.
I totally understand how come unexpected changes or updates can impact your integration.
Here is a link to the recent changes in some of our endpoints
https://developers.zoom.us/docs/platform/announcements/

Let me know if you need anything else from me
Cheers,
Elisa

That answers my question, “Did I miss a change in the release notes?” …I missed the change in the API notes.

And… if there is any way to allow end-users to consent to having that information included, that would be great.

When at student attends an in-person class, we need to know that the person who shows up at the door is the person who signed up for the class. Students voluntarily provide that information, and are granted admission to the classroom. Similarly, we need a way for a student to identify themselves in the virtual classroom.

I understand why the email address was considered PII. I’m not sure why the Zoom_ID is considered PII. But given that it is… would it be possible for the report to include a per-user/per-meeting token that would not be considered PII? I.e. the token is generated when the user first enters a meeting, thus anonymizing the information so it’s not PII. Then if a user leaves and rejoins the meeting, at least that token stays the same. And for on-going meetings (like our monthly classes), we at least know that the student should be granted admission to the classroom when they show up every month.

I don’t need/want to track anyone across the internet, but I do need to know that the person admitted to the classroom is the person who paid for the class. And when I read the reports for attendance logs, I need to know that the person receiving their certificate of completion actually attended the class.

Thanks!

Hi @usmtech
I totally understand your use case.
I would suggest you to use meeting Registration.
This way everytime a student registers for a meeting, a registrant id will be created and assigned for that specific meeting and if they have issues with the meeting (let’s say they lost their internet connection so they leave the meeting) and then they come back to the meeting, they can use the same join link and the registrant_id will persist.

https://developers.zoom.us/docs/api/rest/reference/zoom-api/methods/#operation/meetingRegistrantCreate

Hope this helps,
Elisa

Thank you for the suggestion. We did look at Registration in the past, but decided it was potentially too much of a hurdle and could be a barrier to entry. I’ll check with our team to see if we can revisit it. Given the current lack of reporting without registration, it may be necessary now.

I very much appreciate all your responses.

I understand how this can be inconvenient for you but I appreciate your understanding.
Feel free to reach out to me if anything else comes up in the future @usmtech
Cheers,
Elisa

I also faced this issue many times.