Info.plist should contain a NSContactsUsageDescription

I am using the Meeting SDK to create a custom UI app.
After updating the SDK (from v5.16.5.11131) to v5.17.1.12530

Apple starts rejecting my app with the following error:

ITMS-90683: Missing purpose string in Info.plist - Your app’s code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data, or the app has one or more entitlements that permit such access. The Info.plist file for the “MyApp.app” bundle should contain a NSContactsUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data.

The iOS SDK documentation says to specify only these permissions in project settings Info.plist.

<key>NSBluetoothPeripheralUsageDescription</key>
<string>We will use your Bluetooth to access your Bluetooth headphones.</string>
<key>NSCameraUsageDescription</key>
<string>For people to see you during meetings, we need access to your camera.</string>
<key>NSMicrophoneUsageDescription</key>
<string>For people to hear you during meetings, we need access to your microphone.</string>
<key>NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription</key>
<string>For people to share, we need access to your photos</string>

but it does not say anything about NSContactsUsageDescription.

How can I avoid this issue?
Is the NSContactsUsageDescription really needed?
Can you provide more info about the contacts usages in the SDK?

I really need some help with this.

I have temporarily added the NSContactsUsageDescription to my beta app’s Info.plist file to continue my testing, but this is not a real solution for the release version as I cannot give a good reason for this permission request. My app does not use contacts in any way.
Bear in mind that Apple could ask me to provide a way to test it, or to provide a video showing how my app uses Contacts.

So it is a blocking issue for releasing a new version of my app.

Hello Cristiano,

The Meeting SDK for iOS actually does need the NSContactsUsageDescription permission for the “accessing the contact” feature in the meeting invite user interface. So you would need to request that permission accordingly. We will also update the documentation to reflect that requirement. Will confirm if NSCalendarsUsageDescription is required as well.

Thanks for your patience,
Richard

1 Like

To confirm, NSContactsUsageDescription is used for Invite Contacts under Participant > Invite. NSCalendarUsageDescription is used to access calendar for scheduling meetings, but it should be optional in SDK.

Thanks for your patience,
Richard

I have successfully released my app without giving Apple any additional information about how it uses contacts (since it does not use them at all).

I hope Apple will not ask me about this for future releases.
… in the meantime, thanks for the information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.