Intercept an active meeting's recording through stream API

Is there a way to intercept an active call’s stream through Zoom’s API? Also, since Zoom does provide cloud recordings transcription, would it be possible to get the realtime transcript?

Hey @abhilash,

Good question, are you trying to get the audio or video stream?

As of now we don’t have an API for you to get the realtime transcript, although it is possible via creating a custom streaming service.

For example, checkout the functionality of the 3Play Media app.

Thanks,
Tommy

They have used captioning.
Also, @tommy Intercepting meeting audio and transcribing it

If you see here, they are able to somehow get the audio and then transcribe it. I can understand the transcription part is totally their work. But how are they able to get a live meeting’s audio stream? Is it closed caption?

1 Like

Hey @abhilash,

They are able to get the audio stream because the Chorus application is a custom live streaming service on Zoom’s native app.

Checkout this article:

Thanks,
Tommy

Once I setup a custom livestream, how would I receive speaker names from an active livestream?

Hey @abhilash,

I could be wrong because I have not used the Chorus integration, but I believe the Chorus transcription does not display in real time.

“Chorus records, transcribes and classifies Zoom calls in real time and all conversation intelligence is available in Chorus as soon as your call ends.”

"Chorus.ai can join all your Zoom calls, either pre-invited or unscheduled and record conversations and screen shares. If multiple people join from the same room, Chorus.ai identifies them as separate speakers for accurate attribution. Get high-accuracy transcripts as soon as you end your call and leverage them for email follow-ups as well as CRM updates. "

Thanks,
Tommy

You can capture zoom audio with things like Loopback (mac only) (https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/ and then run it through rev.ai’s streaming audio ASR engine: https://www.rev.ai/docs/streaming

1 Like

Hey @ellen.cohen, thanks for providing this work around! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

1 Like

Thanks Tommy. We, at Rev.ai, actually would LOVE to have Zoom integrate with us directly and enable your users to turn on live captioning. Especially today with so many schools and institutions going virtual, it would be a critical community service to do so. We need to get to the right decision makers to make this happen, quickly. Can you help us find the one at Zoom that can say YES to such an integration and partnership? They can contact me at ellen.cohen@rev.com

Hey @ellen.cohen,

For enquires about partnerships you can reach out to isv@zoom.us

Otherwise, you can develop an app and publish it to the Zoom App Marketplace.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks Tommy!

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

As of now we don’t have an API for you to get the realtime transcript

Zoom has missed the biggest opportunity to be the first and currently only meeting video provider that is programmable. And this opportunity was also supported by the pricing business model that zoom uses. Imagine the endless possibility for zoom if developer can access live stream video and audio through coding , i was wondering why does zoom developer forget about this literally huge opportunity ?

1 Like

Hey @jaydhani.42,

Thanks for your suggestions about this. That would be a great feature! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Is there a way to get an active video call’s snap shot through Zoom’s API?.

Hi @pratik.b,

This is not possible via API, though it’s a good suggestion. At the moment, you can either use our Livestreaming service or Cloud Recording to access video for a meeting.

Thanks,
Will

@will.zoom I am putting together a little POC using ffmpeg rtmp listener from an ubuntu instance to capture my zoom call.

How do I figure out which server my rtmp listener should listen on for a given call? are there details somewhere on how to construct a custom livestreaming service? Will the custom livestream provide separate channels for each participant’s audio and video? What should I expect in terms of latency and delivery? I noticed in the settings that zoom allows me to force 3rd party endpoints to support encryption, but in the livestream page above it says that username and passwords are not supported on rtmp endpoints, so what happens there?

Hi @asoellinger,

Thanks for reaching out about this. For questions regarding the Live Streaming Service, you will want to reach out to Zoom Technical Support as they’re the experts on this.

If you’re looking for this level of customization, you might also be interested in our Fully Customizable SDK, which offers access to raw audio and video.

Thanks,
Will

Hi @tommy and @will.zoom,

There are great workarounds but I’ve noticed that when using the custom live stream Zoom now pops up a message that says:
“This meeting is being live streamed By staying in this meeting you consent to being livestreamed. Anyone with access to the livestream can watch or share with others”

This message is not relevant to the apps mentioned in this thread and can be very off-putting to users who are expecting to be in a normal meeting.
Is there a way to turn it off or modify the messaging?

Best,
Andrew

Hi @chou,

Thanks for the feedback—this is currently by design, and I’m afraid it cannot be disabled as it’s part of consent messaging for users.

Thanks,
Will