Intermittent issues with setting virtual backgrounds using Zoom Electron SDK

Description
I have an application that uses the electron zoom SDK. During meetings, I have encountered an issue where sometimes I am unable to set a virtual background using the video settings UI on my app. I upload an image for my virtual background in the Zoom settings page, but when I click on the virtual background it does not apply to my video. I have had users report the same symptom and behavior. Other times it works for me, so it appears to be an intermittent issue.

So basically the key details of this issue are:

• Using the Zoom default meeting UI created by the Zoom electron SDK after meeting starts, I use the Virtual Background settings page to upload a custom image successfully to be used as virtual background
  • If I select the custom image, it does not apply the virtual background to my video (neither the preview nor the meeting video) despite being selected
  • Sometimes it works as expected so appears to be intermittent, no clear pattern as of yet
  • When I use the normal Zoom client, selecting virtual background works every time

I’m looking for some guidance on troubleshooting this issue. As far as I can tell there’s no clear pattern to occurrence. On a related note, I tried to enable logs using the enable_log parameter when initializing the SDK to help troubleshoot this issue, but I don’t see any Zoom logs in /Library/Logs/MyApp/ - what is the log file I should be looking for here? There are a few files which seem to be encoded

Which version?
Latest electron SDK: https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-electron/releases/tag/v4.6.21666.0428

Hi @nraj,

Thanks for the post. The situation you are mentioning sounds unexpected. Could you provide the SDK log for us to further investigate? The log path is the correct path and the log files are encrypted and has the extension .log.

Thanks!

Hi @carson.zoom,

Apologies for the delay, but I just found a reliable way to reproduce this issue. Here is a link to my app log:

In that log, I’ve basically run a very simple test scenario where I’ve launched a meeting and attempt to select a virtual background but it does not apply itself to my video. We have consistent reports that the users encounter this issue immediately after installing our application.

Let me know if you are able to identify anything interesting from the linked logs.

Thanks!
Nitin

Hi @nraj,

Perfect! Thanks for the log. I will forward this to the engineering team for investigation right away.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @carson.zoom any update on this issue?

Thanks,
Nitin

Hi @carson.zoom - I found an issue with my app bundle that may have been causing the issue. If you don’t mind, let’s keep this thread open for a few days while I confirm with users that it’s fixed, but no need to spend Zoom engineering team cycles on this one until I confirm!

Thanks,
Nitin

Hi @nraj,

Thanks for the update! Sure, looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi @carson.zoom, confirmed we’re all set with this issue fixed on our end, thanks!

Glad to hear that! Then I will go ahead and close this thread. Please feel free to create another post if any other questions. :slight_smile: