Is it possible to route communication and store recording data exclusively within Japan using Zoom Video SDK?

Video SDK Type and Version
Type: Zoom Video SDK for web
Version: Latest

Description
I am interested in implementing a video chat feature on a web application using the Zoom Video SDK. My question is about the data routing and storage for video recordings.

Error?
Not applicable as this is a general inquiry.

Troubleshooting Routes
I have reviewed the documentation and FAQs but could not find specific information regarding data routing and storage locations.

How To Reproduce
Not applicable as this is a pre-implementation inquiry.

Inquiry
I would like to know if it’s possible to exclusively use servers located in Japan for both the routing of communication and the storage of recorded video data when using the Zoom Video SDK. Ensuring all data remains within Japan is crucial for my project’s data security and compliance requirements.

1 Like

Hey there :wave:

Yes - you can store recordings in specific regions, and Japan is included. Here is a detailed list of how to implement in your Zoom account - Managing Communications Content storage location - Zoom Support

And some additional information in our docs here → Video SDK account

You can also specify the geo_region attribute when creating your VideoSDK JWT to route the session through the specified region.

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I believe the setting you mentioned refers to the “Customize data center regions for session data in transit” section. Is this correct?

Indeed, I was able to confirm that Japan is listed in this section, but it seems I cannot opt out of the United States.

I would appreciate any additional information you could provide on this matter.

I am grateful for your kind support.

Based on the support article - it looks like you would need the following to change the data center →

• Account owners, admins, or custom role with the relevant privileges
  • Pro account or higher
  • Country/region must be selected in the data center setting
  • To customize Zoom Phone regions, submit a request to Zoom Support to enable Zoom Support to enable Display Custom SIP Zone Options on Web Portal for your account

Notes:

• This article only applies to admins. Individual users within Business or Enterprise accounts cannot view or change their Communications Content storage location.
  • Internationally provisioned accounts cannot manage their storage location, as requesting your account to be provisioned in a specific region is an account wide storage location change.

Thank you for your response.
I reviewed the site you shared and it states that it is not possible to opt out of the region where the account has been provisioned.

• Free and Pro accounts have the region where their account is provisioned enabled and locked, with Pro accounts able to adjust other regions. Typically, new accounts are provisioned in the United States, meaning the United States data center cannot be disabled.

Does this mean that, as of now, it is not possible to exclusively opt into Japan, and there is a possibility that the United States, where the account is provisioned, will also be involved in the routing of communication and storage of recording data?

Thank you for your support.

It is possible - and needed a support ticket - which I have created on your behalf. You should hear from our Support team soon. Thanks again!

1 Like