Issue with Webinar Registrants API / List and Adding

Description

We had a webinar yesterday with ~10 panelists and ~300 registrants. Some people started complaining that they receive too many confirmation emails from Zoom.

When somebody signs up through out system and wants to get the join URL for the webinar, we check if he/she is already registered as registrant and if not, try to add him as registrant. This worked but we ran into issues when panelists tried the same.

It was possible to add a panelist also as registrant. While this is basically fine. But the person never appeared in the API call to get the list of registrants. And with every call to add the registrant (status code 201), the person also received an email from Zoom. But to get the Join URL for such a “panelist registrant”, the only way was to add him/her again as registrant - another email from Zoom.

I would expect that either adding a panelist as registrant does not work or he/she then also appears in the list of registrants. At least a hint about what is going to happen would be nice in the API documentation.

Error
add_registrant is successful but registrant never is displayed in the registrant list if he/she is also a panelist. Adding him/her again leads to another confirmation email by Zoom to him/her.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
OAuth2

Which Endpoint/s?
POST /meetings/{meetingId}/registrants
GET /meetings/{meetingId}/registrants

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Add panelist email as registrant, then check list of registrants - does not show up.

Hi @jahrralf,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

It sounds like the concern here is that when panelists are added as registrants via API, they’re getting an email confirming they’ve been registered, but you’re not seeing the reflected as registered when you then call our List Webinar Registrants endpoint—is that right?

If so, is it possible to share the webinar ID and a copy of the request you’re making to that endpoint? I’d like to take a closer look!

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will,

Thanks for checking this. Yes, your summary is correct.

The webinar ID is 998 691 12637.

One of the requests I made is POST to /v2/webinars/99869112637/registrants with the following data, redacted because of privacy:

{"first_name":"C***","last_name":"S***","email":"cs***@troutgroup.com","org":"Solebury Trout","job_title":"Office Coordinator","state":"NY","country":"United States"}

The response is as follows, but she is never listed in the registrants list:

{"registrant_id":"pFxcGETqQfi***","id":99869112637,"topic":"Sutro Biopharma: KOL Discussion of STRO-002 Data","start_time":"2020-12-03T22:00:00Z","join_url":"https://soleburytrout.zoom.us/w/99869112637?tk=5S3LbLOch0zJSlgCL9Ngpb9a_ujv3TmUbUP***"}

Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks!

Ralf

Hi @jahrralf,

I see—thank you for confirming. A couple of additional questions:

• When you call the List Webinar Registrants API (and you don’t see this user returned), are you paging through all the results and setting the maximum page_size?
  • Is this the only registrant that was successfully added but doesn’t appear in the List Registrants call?
  • Do you see this registrant reflected in the UI when you check from the Zoom Web Portal?

Let me know when you have a chance—thanks!
Will

Hi Will,

Adding a panelist as registrant always gave be an OK status code. The panelist is not in the registrants list, neither in the UI nor in the API (and we do load all pages of the results).

Bye,

Ralf

HI @jahrralf,

Thanks for confirming. We’re looking into this for you (ZOOM-227350).

Best,
Will

Hi @jahrralf,

After confirming with our Engineering team, it’s expected behavior that a panelist will not be returned by List Registrants—you will need to call our List Panelists endpoint to fetch panelists:

Let me know if this helps to clarify—thanks,
Will

Hi Will,

Actually this does not help. It’s just once more a situation where we have to live it, looks like it.

From my understanding the panelist join URL is different than the registrant join URL. So I would like to have a way to get the registrant join URL without creating another registration because this is going to send an email every time I do it. These emails annoy people!

Thanks,

Ralf

Hi @jahrralf,

I appreciate the feedback, and can certainly appreciate how it would be helpful to be able to retrieve both registrants and panelists via the same registration endpoint.

While you will have to use a separate call to the Panelists endpoint for the time being, I think you raise a great point and I’ll be sharing this feedback with our team. In the meantime, if you’re so inclined, I might also suggest posting this as a feature request here: #feature-requests

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.