Join a session with a still image

Hello,
is it possible to use the Video SDK to transfer a still image instead of a video stream? I don’t want a participant to join a session straight away with their camera image, but rather just any image to be displayed initially. As is usual with zoom conferences. Unfortunately I can’t find a method to do this within the SDK.
Best regards, Klaus

Well,
I assumed that my question was describing a normal problem that many people have already solved. Or is there no one here who uses the Video SDK on websites?

I have now made a little progress myself. For example, if you convert a jpeg file into an mp4 file, you can display it with

mediaStream.startVideo({ mediaFile: { url: ‘xxx.mp4’ } });

With

await mediaStream.stopVideo();
await mediaStream.startVideo({…});

can be switched back and forth between the different options.

However, the whole thing only works for me with Chrome and not with Safari. I’m working with an M1 MAC. I don’t know if it’s the same on other systems.

Safari tells me VIDEO_USER_FORBIDDEN_CAPTURE with the mediaFile option and with the virtualBackground option “Virtual background only compatible with Chrome and Edge with SharedArrayBuffer enabled.”

Is there any work being done to overcome this limitation or is there any workaround for it?

Best regards, Klaus

To display something instead of a video at the start of a session - you will need to create a “no video” type view for any participant with the attribute bVideoOn set to false. More info here → Participant | Zoom Video SDK for Web - 1.10.8

Each user would have some image (avatar, background, etc) that has been connected to the user in your application accessing the videos, and you can grab the image from that.

If you are using the components, they can be a div that is used instead of the Zoom video.

Hey @zoomadmin8

I’m pleased to see that you’ve explored the Video SDK media playback as a video input feature; that’s the correct approach.

Currently, there’s an issue with Safari, which we have addressed in the next version, slated for release soon.

Regarding the virtual background, from my perspective, since you are using a still image as the media playback, it’s not applicable. Due to performance concerns, we have not yet supported the virtual background feature on Safari.

Thanks
Vic

1 Like