Local, per-user/individual volume control in Zoom meetings/webinars/etc

I can’t for the life of me figure out why Zoom Meetings/Webinars have no individual user volume controls in-meeting for all the users on a local control (client side). :slightly_frowning_face: Zoom is awesome and has many things that other platforms don’t do well, but this one is really lacking, considering there is much more technically-heavy infrastructure and features that Zoom does have and already implements.

While the semi-recent enhancements to echo cancellation, etc. have helped a tad, there isn’t any way for a user to control the volume of another user locally – so that, for example, if one user is coming in too loud or another user is on a phone call and wants to lower the volume of a particular user (with a slider) on their end only.

Describe the solution you’d like
It would be really game-changing if there was a way a user could adjust other users’ volume locally (that is, it only affects what they hear and does not affect the rest of the meeting). There are other apps that do this, but Zoom does not.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
No Zoom based alternatives I can see, but correct me if I’m wrong. :+1:

25 Likes

Hey @saro,

Thanks for sharing your feature request. I can see how this would be useful, however, this is unrelated to the Zoom App Marketplace and APIs.

Please submit a feature request here: support.zoom.us

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

I can just agree. I just had a really terrible zoom meeting, where one person was very quiet or her sound was not adjusted properly/wrong sound input chosen, and i constantly had to change the volume if she said something. Otherwise I could have chosen between ignoring here or hearing the others screaming.

This is really a very basic option that would directly eliminate comunication problems like this.

1 Like

Hi @Thomas64, sorry to hear about the difficulty in that meeting :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ll add this to our feature requests, and see if & where we can get this on our roadmap.

4 Likes

Hi Michael

Is there a way I can keep track of this feature request somewhere so I can know when to expect it to arrive in the product?

Thanks

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This has been driving me insane!

3 Likes

I’m not seeing a place to put in feature requests at your link.

1 Like

Hey @austin.w.harris, @pingu,

Since this is a product related feature request and not a Zoom App Marketplace feature request, you can stay updated here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/201214205-Release-Notes

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

As A profesionnal broadcaster, I need to say this would be a gigantic game killer! If we can control the zoom volume of each person that talks, this would be absolutely genius. I know it’s possible since you can mute people, so why not just add a gain control!?

:smiley:

3 Likes

Agreed @decambra89, we’re working on it!

2 Likes

Wow so excited to read that answer :smiley: thank you very much ! Keep me posted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m just checking in, is there any update on this issue?

3 Likes

Are their API’s available that would allow intercepting of the individuals audio channels? I would like to to do more mixing editing beyond just volume control.

3 Likes

Hi Michael,

Absolutely agreed, since 5.0.3 was released, we have been really struggling to do our weekly music show in Zoom, and it has interfered with our professional meetings. An audio mixer, or some sort of audio control interface would be a huge hit, and is urgently needed.

3 Likes

I pay $14.99 for Zoom Pro. We need this or I’m not paying anymore.

2 Likes

Came here to request this feature as well. Glad to see that is in progress.
I would suggest looking at the app Discord which implements this feature very well for the gaming community.

2 Likes

We would also really benefit from this. Nearly all meetings have one or two people who speak at a higher volume / have a closer mic than the others.

2 Likes

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I’d pay like a million dollar for this (only if I had)

2 Likes

Agreed in full. This is a rudimentary feature that needs implementing ASAP. I say this as I am currently in the middle of a Zoom conference with one speaker’s volume being louder than all the rest.

3 Likes

Yes, yes! I’m surprised more people haven’t reported this. Just now had to leave a Zoom meeting, because couldn’t adjust volume fast enough when going from quiet speaker to loud speaker. Hurt my ears too badly.

2 Likes