Local, per-user/individual volume control in Zoom meetings/webinars/etc

Please prioritize this feature request. This is totally essential to use zoom as virtual office.

3 Likes

Discord has had this feature for a looooooooooong time. So sad that zoom doesn’t have this feature. So many schools are using zoom and they should be using Discord because Discord actually has this feature. Seems like a huge mistake not having this in the app. I either can’t hear most the people in the call or my ears are bleeding from most the people in the call. Some people are so loud and some people are so quiet. This just seems like a no-brainer feature…

3 Likes

Is this feature out yet? I’m going crazy from one loud guy in a zoom class we’re having.

2 Likes

Bumping this. What could also be cool is if the host had kind of a “meeting level” or “master” mixer, such that they can mix all participants to a level they see fit, and then that’s what everyone hears. That way if people aren’t comfortable getting into that level of audio, they have something that sounds good as soon as they join the meeting. On top of that, if individual people do want to change it (including the host) they could have their own mix that works only for what they hear individually. Food for thought!

8 Likes

Really pathetic a company with a stock soaring as high as it is can’t figure out something so simple. You will not get my money again at renewal time. Sad that the free gamer app has more useful capabilities.

2 Likes

I’m glad many others share the sentiment since I posted this originally 8 months ago.
This should really not be hard to implement within Zoom’s infrastructure. Considering the pandemic and massive rise in userbase for Zoom since I posted this request, it makes sense in so many circumstances. The local aspect of it eliminates any need to do processing on Zoom’s servers. For cases like education, where you may not want someone to mute the instructor, this could be a feature that is enabled in Zoom explicitly like E2EE (however, if someone wanted to do that, they could simply mute the Zoom app, so it doesn’t seem harmful). Either way, @michael.zoom / @tommy - I really hope this is on the roadmap soon, as it is (for me and many others, with 19,000 views on this topic) the main thing stopping me from using another service that offers local volume control.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

More specifically, +1 for basic control of this at a host level so they level out the imbalance in audio for everyone.

A super simple volume mixer with individual volume and overall compression can’t be that difficult to throw into the mix.

You are always going to have people who do not know how to fully use Zoom yet need to speak in the meeting and end up being too loud or quiet while everyone else is on the receiving end of it all.

When this is extreme, often the only solution is for each participant to manually turn the volume up or down on their own speakers. The host in the meantime gets complaints about people being too quiet or too loud while not being able to do anything about it. Not a great user experience when you have to focus on managing that rather than the content of the meeting itself.

What’s often overlooked is the fact that you cannot really hear yourself in relationship to everyone else on line. You basically need to rely on everyone else to tell you if you are too loud or quiet, or hoping for Zoom auto to kick in correctly. This is fine one on one, but not with a group of people where everyone has their own set of volume knobs on their own computer system.

Some simple AV controls are crucial.

6 Likes

I concur, second that and hope this zoom issue could be fixed.
The bad user experience of audio mixing is a challenge for zoom at this point. When there are several users on a meeting is inevitable that some people are louder than others. Individual custom sound control where with a right click you could sound control the output of each individual participant would be great.
We spend so much time in virtual meetings per day now, the user experience needs to become better or I am going to Google Meet.

6 Likes

I second that. I think a mixer is really in place.
I would like to give more ideas into this by suggesting also putting an individual Equalizer and Compressor for each participant (channel) as well as ones for the output, this is important because every user has a different make and sometimes the sounds is not clear enough. I understand not every user will know how to use those, but you can obviously help with with presents (like treble-boost / bass-boost ect)

5 Likes

@petersyan Would only be available for Hosts on co-host to prevent people from fiddling

3 Likes

Please please please make this happen. 2020 was bad enough… Throw us a cookie and add per-user volume control !

4 Likes

Look, the full EQ would be great and I hope y’all make that an option, even if only for the paid subscriptions. But for god’s sake, can we please have the individual volume control already?

5 Likes

@tommy can you please give some indication when this will be available? I was enrolled for an interactive language course for work e.g. meaning that we all participate on an almost free for all basis, and it’s nearly impossible to follow the tutor with this volume inconsistency issue. :frowning:

I’m literally sitting with my mouse on the volume slider to move it up and down as people speak, thus also missing a significant portion of the class. My tutor even got the impression that “I need to think too long” or “not paying attention” when we have class.

Meh, thank goodness I don’t need to deal with this volume issue on Teams (which seems to be doing auto-leveling on volumes) for my daily grind and I know this because the same people in my Zoom class are also the same people I talk to using the same equipment during the work day!

5 Likes

agree that hosts at the very least should have this.

especially if we have a meeting with participants that are not technically skilled. it’s very disruptive to the meeting to have to stop everything to then guide a single participant through adjusting their volume settings, noise cancellation etc.

for the host to have a per-participant mixer, would be awesome. even better if it could be connected and mapped to USB hardware for control.

4 Likes

Guess the “roadmap” to this feature is reaaaaaally long. I’m glad that the “release notes” Tommy mentioned a year ago already show the features you’ve released 3 days from now. Minor enhancements for Chrome already released next Tuesday eh? Funny that it’s not next Tuesday just yet… I’m sitting here watching a concert that the local university is putting on and I can’t hear a thing.

Do I blame their audio tech? You bet. Is my wife performing in said concert and I can’t hear anything because I can’t turn up the audio? That too. Other platforms support this, why are you dragging your feet? Too hard to integrate with system drivers? Eh? I hate finding threads like this on any forum; empty promises for more than a year with a whole slew of frustrated users. Get on with it! Get the feature out!

4 Likes

Totally Agree!! This is really missing as very often the volume between participants is not balanced and I have to manually turn the volume up and down and have my ears go deaf with volume to high / miss things when volume is too low.
Please prioritize it.

4 Likes

Totally agree with people above. Cross my fingers that you guys figure it out how to implement it in the zoom.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why this isn’t a feature yet. Makes me wanna switch to discord all day long…

4 Likes

Yes, PLEASE!
I know this is an old issue, but PLEASE, I would love a patch for this.
I would love to have individual volume control for all participants from every participant end.

I work at a school with DOZENS of students on Zoom. In a classroom, it is EXTREMELY disruptive to have one participant in the class with screaming loud volume and no one can hear the teacher.
Not to mention we are in actual in-person classrooms and I have so many students trying to adjust volume for Zoom because they cant hear their teachers, but they cant turn their volume up because of the 1 - 3 users in their Zoom meeting that are blaring loud.
It’s a nightmare…

4 Likes

This seems like a blindingly obvious requirement. My guess is the solution (or rather, difficulty) lies with the OS, not the app. The audio “controls” i have for Windows are disparate and diffuse.

If, for example, application X has a grip on the audio when I start Zoom, I have no audio, and no tool seems to want to reveal who has the audio. A reboot fixes it. How convenient is that?

One system audio dialog allow setting levels by frequency band, others don’t acknowledge such a dialog exists.

All this ineptitude in the (win 10) os suggests to me that it would difficult for the Zoom app on my machine to adjust gain differently for each participant I see. Windows provides no hook.

Hoping the brilliant folks at Zoom prove I’m wrong. I usually am. It would be nice to know where the difficulty really lies.

4 Likes