Local, per-user/individual volume control in Zoom meetings/webinars/etc

I 100% agree with you. This is a huge problem, and is affecting learning for many students. My child mentally disengages from class because of this very issue. Some students are ear-splittingly loud. I have been searching the web to see if we can adjust other participants on our end - her teacher has been wonderful, and is looking for a fix on her end as well. This is very much needed

4 Likes

I think the easiest “single button” solution is to add a simple control that the host can toggle–or a slider to adjust–that controls compression of ALL participants’ audio. Compression is more important than EQ in this situation. It should be independent from the host’s screen sharing audio (which would destroy music quality).

3 Likes

Just found this thread and wondering if any progress has been made on giving hosts or co-hosts the ability to control the volume of each participant in a meeting. I need this bad for the work i do filming legal deposition videos. Or if Zoom hasnt done this yet, anyone know another program that might give us this control?

3 Likes

@michael.zoom @tommy - any progress on this much-wanted feature? Thanks!

2 Likes

+1 here. I spend 10-20 hours per week in virtual co-working meetings with 20+ participants at any given time, and the inconsistency of volume between users is distracting me to no end.

3 Likes

Please, we really need this feature. I’m tired of sitting in calls with people who refuse to mute while eating or having children on in the background. It’s frustrating

2 Likes

This is also an SDK issue. I am developing a Zoom client using the C# Wrapper and I want to be able to Mute on my local session everyone except for the currently pinned participant. The current SDK offering only allows me to mute or unmute for the whole Zoom meeting.

3 Likes

Can we at least get a link to the feature request so we can follow it?

2 Likes

Throwing my voice in to advocate for this. It is also an accessibility matter. Those of us who are autistic or otherwise neurodivergent with sensory issues can struggle with meeting participants who “eat the mic” and are substantially louder and more grating than others on a call…I can’t get work done if I have to turn my volume down so far that I can’t hear the conversation to avoid the physical pain that comes with hearing those sounds.

If I could normalize all incoming audio streams like this on Ventrilo 13 years ago to abate this issue, I should be able to do it on enterprise software like Zoom.

1 Like

Sorry, but the link to the release notes doesn’t point to this specific feature. It takes me to a page with 200 articles so how am I supposed to find it? No wonder people keep writing here…

2 Likes

Yes! This! I can’t believe a bloody YEAR later this obviously needed implementation is still lacking. I am on Zoom with a heavy breather and it’s REALLY a problem. AARRRGHHHH

2 Likes

Discord has this feature and it is crucial for large voice calls. I am desperately in need of this feature at work. I have some people who are VERY loud, but I need to keep the volume up to be able to hear the quiet voices on the call. Can we get a status update/ETA for this release?

1 Like

YES please. We need a feature that the host or end user to adjust the volume of those that tend to yell at their microphone!!!

1 Like

Yes please make this happen. This is a crucial feature and should have been implemented a long time ago!

2 Likes

Discord is doing it, and it works beautifully. I just had a meeting where I struggled to hear the one party, and the other party distort my speakers. Terrible experience!

I see this is posted a while ago, is there a beta branch that I can join to test the feature out?

2 Likes

@michael.zoom It has been a year and four months since I originally made this feature request. I’ve been a Zoom customer for longer than that. As you guys should see, this is really something that a lot of users need. It can be done locally like Discord so it should not even be difficult from the dev point of view, nor taxing on core resources.

3 Likes

Wait til they get viable competition. I guarantee you they’ll immediately start inputting needed features like this on the daily. It’s simply greed fueled by no competition.

1 Like

Is there an update regarding this matter? Every meetings is just a roll of the dice, as to whether my ears will bleed or not. Our team has migrated to discord until this issue is resolved.

2 Likes

Showing my support for this feature to materialize

2 Likes

Whats up Zoom? 1000th person here to tell you that putting in individual user volume should be super easy to do and I’m frankly shocked and not hopeful that I’ll see this feature by the looks of this thread. If this feature isn’t added soon, you’re going to lose an easy $15 a month from us to Discord. Why pay money when we can get almost all of your features for free?

2 Likes