Meeting Detail API returning wrong participants_count number

Meeting Detail API returns wrong participants_count number. As far as I can see, the host is accounted once but every guest is accounted twice. Ex: 1 host + 1 guest returns participants_count = 3, 1 host + 3 guest returns participants_count = 7.

Fields duration and total minutes are accurate, only participants_count has the wrong value.

There is no error message, the API responds normally but with the wrong participants number.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT from a NodeJS backend.

Which Endpoint/s?

How To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

  1. Request a scheduled meeting through the meetings API
  2. Enter the meeting as the host and allow any number of guests
  3. Finish the meeting
  4. Request the meeting detail report through the mentioned API
  5. Verify the participants_count field in the response.

Hey @Venturing,

Can you please share your meetingUUID so I can look into the logs?


Sure, there are two meetings with the described cases (3 participants instead of 2, 7 participants instead of 4). These are:

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks in advance for your help!

*This post has been edited to remove any meeting / webinar IDs

Hey @Venturing,

I see on our backend that like you stated, the participants are 2 and 4.

Is the API still returning the incorrect number?


Hi Tommy,

Yes, I just checked and I still get the wrong numbers. Is there anything else I can submit to help detect the issue? maybe a raw response?

Hey @Venturing,

Those are all the details I need. Our team is looking into this and we will get back to you shortly. (ZOOM-181627)


Any news on this? I’m still getting the wrong numbers, and since it’s a production system and we use these numbers for reports that later we use to handle certain payments, it’s quite a critical situation.

Is there any possible cause for this that we can look into? Anything I can try to help you solve it?

Hey @Venturing,

No update yet. Basically this bug is caused by the waiting room feature - it counts participants twice, once in the waiting room, and once when admitted to the meeting. We are working on developing a solution to fix this.

I will keep you updated.


Thank you Tommy for the update.

Meanwhile, we’ve implemented a temporary workaround, obtaining the participants details from the corresponding API, and filtering unique participants by their name, and by their duration in the meeting (to discard durations below certain threshold, like 10 seconds), in an attempt to get a number as close as possible to the real value. We know it’s not a perfect approach, since the name may not be unique and can be changed, but we couldn’t find a proper ID to use for that matter with anonymous users.

We’ll be waiting then for the proper fix to the meeting detail API! Good luck with that :muscle:

1 Like

Hey @Venturing,

That is a great workaround in the meantime! :slight_smile:

I will keep you updated on the fix!



I potentially have the same issue with a couple of meetings my company is doing reporting with (both occured in March 2020).
Although the waiting room feature is disabled by default so it could be a different bug altogether.

EDIT: I just had a thought that the participant count from meetings report could possibly be inflated by participants leaving and re-entering the meeting. Therefore the meeting participants report will return less participants. Is this a plausible theory?

Hey @alastair.chin,

This issue should be specific to the waiting room.

In your case, if a participant leaves and then they rejoin a meeting, they should still be counted once in the total participant count. Are you seeing something different on your end?

Let me know, thanks!

Hi @will.zoom

Yes I think so. It is unlikely to be the waiting room issue as we do not use this feature by default.

I use two extracts calls to the API, Get Dashboard Meetings (GDM) for a list of meetings within the month and Get Past Meeting Participants (GPMP) using the Meeting UUID to further extract the participants.

So for two meetings, via GDM I get participant counts of forty and seven, then by GPMP I get seven and one participants respectively.

Meeting UUIDs:


Hi @alastair.chin,

Can you please share the full request URLs and response body’s for each of these calls? This will help me to take a closer look.


Hi @will.zoom

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately the meeting data has now expired and I did not save a copy of the raw json/output. If I encounter a similar problem again I will follow up here
Thanks for willing to help out :slight_smile:


Hey @alastair.chin,

Got it—thanks for letting me know! Please do reach back out, should you see this again.


Hi @tommy - Was wondering if the fix went out for this issue.
We are seeing the same issue where the participants are counted twice.

Hey @poornimar,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. Please submit a new topic and fill out the template so that we have enough information to help. I’ll investigate this as a separate issue.