Meeting Participants all given the same name (Host's name)

We are using the REST API to create a Zoom meeting and then having users join the meeting using the join URL that is passed back after creating the meeting. For some reason everyone who joins the meeting is given the name of the host. So if the name attached to the userID used to create the meeting is “David” then everyone in the meeting is given the name “David” under their video/audio stream. The users can rename themselves, but it’s not ideal. This remains the case even when users who are joining the meeting have Zoom accounts and are logged in with their own name setup.

Here is the data we are using to create the meeting through the API, if that makes any difference. We are not setting the name of the user anywhere in this meeting creation so I am not sure what else to try:

zoomMeeting = HTTP.post(zoomCreateMeetingURL,
{
	data:{
		"type": 1, //instant meeting
		"topic": 'Meeting',
		"agenda": 'Meeting created from... our app',
		"settings": {
			"host_video": true,
			"participant_video": true,
			"cn_meeting": false,
			"in_meeting": false,
			"join_before_host": true,
			"mute_upon_entry": false,
			"watermark": false,
			//"use_pmi": "boolean",
			"approval_type": 2,
			//"registration_type": "integer",
			"audio": "both",
			"auto_recording": (options.record === true? "cloud":"none"),
			"enforce_login": false,
			//"enforce_login_domains": "string",
			//"alternative_hosts": "string"
			//"waiting_room": true,
		}
	},
	headers: {
		Authorization: auth
			}
	}
	);

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can you please send us some screenshots showing the issue ?

Here is a screenshot showing two users in a call, both with the name set to “Courtney Williams.” Courtney is the user account that was used to create the meeting, using the endpoint "https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/" + zoomUserId + "/meetings"

We have tried this with up to 5 participants, all who have the Zoom client installed and logged into their own individual zoom accounts. Everyone who joins the meeting gets this same name.

We have also tried this with different accounts. I tried creating meetings with the Zoom account we use to develop our Zoom marketplace app, as well as a separate Zoom account that we use for account services and they both have the same issue. It always names everyone in the call the same name as the user that was used to create the meeting.

@torshdev,

I have reported this to our Engineers.

You can follow our changelog and developer roadmap to see the latest updates.

Thanks!

Hi @torshdev,

While we are trying to debug the issue, can you please let us know how your users are joining the meeting:

• Join the meeting from the client?
  • Join the meeting with the join_url( /j/xxxx)?
  • Join the meeting with the start_url (/s/xxxx)?

Thanks

Hi @ojus.zoom,

Sure, the users are joining the meeting through the join_url that is passed back when creating the meeting.

Best,
David

Thanks for the info. I will get back to you with an update shortly.

Thanks

Thanks Ojus,

Any update on this issue? Have you been able to reproduce on your end?

Best,
David

Hi @torshdev,

Our engineers are still working on your request and we will update you shortly.

Thanks!

Thanks Ojus,

Please let me know if there is any more information I can give to help get to the bottom of this issue.

Best,
David

Hi @torshdev,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Our developers are still trying to fix the issue. As of now we do not need any more information. I will update you once it is fixed.

Thanks

Hi @ojus.zoom,

Thanks for the update. Is there a timeline when we can expect to see a fix or and update on this?

Best,
David

@torshdev Our developers are still working on the fix for this.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Hi @ojus.zoom ,

Any update here?

Here is some additional info on the issue:

When using the Zoom marketplace API to create a meeting for a user there are 2 URLs that get passed back for the meeting, start_url and join_url. When using the start_url to launch zoom anyone who clicks that link gets signed into the account of the user who created the meeting (or the user the meeting was created on behalf of through the API). After clicking that link and getting logged in automatically they are able to access the user’s Zoom settings and view all of their cloud recorded calls etc.

This doesn’t seem like the intended behavior, and looks like a security issue, but I can’t find much detailed information in the API documentation about how this is supposed to behave.

We no longer use this URL to launch meetings, but for a while it was essentially causing everyone who joined a meeting to single sign on into Zoom as the user who created the meeting and then they all had that user’s name in the meeting and had access to the user’s entire Zoom account through the browser.

Hi @torshdev,

We are aware of this issue, and I can confirm that we are releasing a new feature soon, which would be avoiding this. Although I do not have an exact timeline of when the update would be available, please follow our changelog to see the latest updates.

Thanks,
Ojus

Has this issue been resolved? This is happening to us, what is the fix or the workaround?

I know the original topic here is very old, but we’ve seen this behavior when you use the Start_URL instead of the Join_URL. The Start_URL appears to init the meeting as if it were being launched by the meeting owner, whereas the Join_URL doesn’t.

~Justin

Hmmm we are using the join URL and it is still bringing in as the host name

At least as far as I can tell we are using the ‘join’ - how can you tell the difference? Please forgive my lack of IT knowledge here

Figured out what you meant, thank you Jason!