MeetingSettingsHelper.enable720p() behavior has changed

I know that MeetingSettingsHelper.enable720p() has been deprecated for several SDK releases. But the behavior has changed recently.

In SDK v5.7.6.1922 if I call enable720p(true) then look on the desktop side under video stats, receive video will be 1280x720 and the aspect ratio is 16:9. If I call enable720p(false), then I get 640x480 video, aspect ratio 4:3. So I know this method call is having an effect.

However, beginning with SDK v5.9.0.3588, the same call to enable720p(true) will result in video maxing out at 640x480 and the aspect ratio is 4:3.

Same device is used for testing both SDK versions.

Can we assume that enable720p() is officially a no-op now? Is there an alternative we can use to request HD video from the SDK?

Hi @vuzix_greg,

There should be a behavior change on the latest version of the SDK (5.9.3). Can you update and see if the correct resolution is being sent?

Thanks!

Hey @jon.zoom,

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my original post. I have tried up through SDK v5.9.3.4273. Same result, video maxes out at 640x480 even when calling enable720p(true). I also should have mentioned I’m using a custom UI.

Hey @jon.zoom!

Just a follow up. I tried SDK v5.9.6.4777. It’s still an issue.

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Apologies for the delay. This is still under investigation. I’ll follow up with the team on this and see if we can get a response soon.

Thanks!

Tested SDK v5.10.1.5184. This is still an issue.

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Thanks for testing on the latest version. There weren’t any changes related to this so it is expected that you are seeing the same behavior, but good to know for certain. I’ll follow up with the team and see if we can provide an update soon.

Thanks!

Hi @vuzix_greg,

It turns out that the 720p-related methods were incorrectly deprecated and will be updated to reflect that in the next SDK release.

Also, sending 720p requires that the device has at least 4 cores and one gold core. Can you confirm whether or not the device you’re testing on meets these requirements?

Thanks!

@jon.zoom

Thanks for the on-going research into this. Yes, the device I am testing with, a Vuzix M400, has 4 silver and 2 gold cores. And as I originally reported, this device was able to use 720p with SDK v5.7.6.1922 and prior. After this point, 720p stopped working.

I also tested this on a Pixel 6 Pro, 720p is working on that device with SDK v5.10.1.5184. So it would appear to be a device specific problem. Perhaps our cores are not being reported correctly. Can you share any specific details about how you are querying the cores?

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Thanks for clarifying. Can you provide the SDK logs from the Vuzix device so that we can look into exactly what’s happening?

I’d have to double-check regarding what we can share regarding how we check the CPU’s cores.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom emailed you the log and CPU info!

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Thanks for sending that over, confirming that we have received your logs. I’ll keep you updated here as soon as we have any new information.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Just a quick update - we will be releasing a fix for this in v5.10.6 later this month.

Thanks!

1 Like

@jon.zoom

I updated to SDK v5.10.6.6361. My outgoing video is now widescreen. At first it only runs at 640x360, but if you let it run long enough, it will eventually ramp up to 1280x720. I think it’s safe to say this issue is fixed. Thank you!

That’s great to hear that the fix is working on your end!