OAuth2 account-level app and associate to a Zoom user

Description
We’re creating an account-level Zoom integration between our in-house LMS and Zoom. The app exists and I’m able to authorize it. I now need to associate our LMS users against their existing Zoom accounts. I’ve tried having a non-admin role user go through the authorization process but they are not able to install the app due to their permissions.

Do I have to create one account level app for creating the student accounts and any other account level tasks and a second user level app for the teachers to do the association between our LMS and Zoom? If not, how am I able to link the two accounts together on our side?

Also, once the admin installs the app, should there be a checkmark next to the Install item on the left?

Error
You cannot authorize the app
An account admin is required to install this type of app. Please contact your accoutn admin or IT administrator to install this app. (screen shot below)

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
OAuth

Which Endpoint/s?
https://zoom.us/oauth/authorize

Screenshots (If applicable)
Account Authorization:

Hey @stlippert,

Yes, Zoom users on that are not admins cannot install account level apps. You would have to also create a user level app if you wanted individual Zoom users to connect their Zoom accounts to your app.

Thanks,
Tommy

I’m glad I’m not the only one that is confused by account-level vs user-level apps…

When you create an account-level app, it seems there’s then some ability to have users install the app, but it is not clear. See example below (account-level app):

Hey @james2,

That option you are seeing in the Event Subscriptions box is which users you receive Webhooks from. Not who can install the application.

Thanks,
Tommy

But… it’s indicating that individual users can install account-level apps. Right? I’m missing something huge here.
What’s the flow here? An account admin installs the account-level app, and then individual users have to install it also?

Hey @james2,

It isn’t indicating who can install the app, it is indicating which user/users you will receive webhooks from.

Only the account admin needs to install the account level app. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy. Thank you for trying to explain this again.

Is the option “only users installed the app” talking about account admins? Does this mean it’ll only provide webhooks for the account of the admin that installs the app?

The way that the options are presented made it look very much to me like it was possible to selectively enable or disable webhooks for specific users (by them somewhat “installing” the app for themselves, or admins doing it for them).

Perhaps this is proving more difficult because “only users installed the app” is not a grammatically correct option. The sentence above it has at least two grammatical errors also: “Event notifications can be subscribed for either all users in the account, or only the users installed this app.”

Perhaps the option should be something like “Only the admin who installed this app”. It’s confusing to say “users who installed this app” when we’re talking in the context of account-level vs user-level apps, seeing as “user” in this context is a non-admin. This, the option implies some ability for a non-admin to install the app.

Hey @james2,

Yes! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, we will work on improving this. :slight_smile: (ZOOM-160462)

-Tommy

Great stuff, thanks Tommy!

1 Like

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

-Tommy