Participation Counts

Hello all,

Description
I have started to compare the participation count numbers from the GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants API call, the GET /metrics/webinars and the **HTTP Webinar Attendee Report ** found here: zoom.us/account/report/webinar and found many inconsistencies.

I am hoping you may be able to steer me into a location for the best and most accurate source of participation counts.

Questions ?:

• What participants in the GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants list would be excluded from being counted in the Total Users on the HTTP Webinar Attendee Report or the Participants in the GET /metrics/webinars api calls?
  • What are the conditions or requirements for a participant in the GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants to be considered a unique viewer on the HTTP Webinar Attendee Report
    *Does the GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants show users while they are in the waiting room?
    • If so, how can we determine the entries that are associated with waiting rooms?

Below is just a couple examples which hopefully leads to a solution for all the issues

Error

• (1) Count of users for webinar_uuid 8IOTlG8HThCuV9OkFhFrdQ
    This is a small example of where we see two issues, the # of participants not matching and the count of unique viewers and concurrent views are both not being counted in the HTTP interface.
    Note that I see that 1 participants dialed in since their name Participant name is a phone number.

• GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants
      • Participants = 4 (a count of PARTICIPANT_ID)
      • Unique Users = 4 (a count of unique participants based on UUID or NAME)
    • GET /metrics/webinars
      • Participants = 3
    • HTTP Webinar Attendee Report
      • Total Users = 3
      • Max Concurrent Views = 0
      • Unique Viewers = 0
  • (2) Count of users for webinar_uuid tHUJIzICQr2kWisg1OBREA==
    Again we see Max Concurrent Views and Unique Viewers are both 0 on the HTTP report. Additionally, we see the count of of 6 participants in participants API call versus 4 in both the Webinars API call and the HTTP report. Note that I see that 2 participants dialed in since their name Participant name is a phone number.

• Participants = 6 (a count of PARTICIPANT_ID)
      • Unique Users = 6 (a count of unique participants based on UUID or NAME)
    • GET /metrics/webinars
      • Participants = 4
      • Total Users = 4
      • Max Concurrent Views = 0
      • Unique Viewers = 0
  • (3) Count of users for webinar_UUID mkTIzzUSRQiu0Oy0gYV6IA==
    While the numbers seem to line up closer, we still see the number of unique viewers significantly off comparing GET participants vs the HTTP report.
    Additionally, this webinar shows 19 total participants. One of the participants is a phone number. Of the remaining 18, I see 8 users have at least 2 entries (1 short <= 60 seconds , 1 long) account for 17 of the count. The last unique user has 1 entry for a long duration.
    Q? - Are the short durations related to a waiting room rather than a disconnection and perhaps should be single count? Is there a way to confirm this via the API?

• Participants = 19 (a count of PARTICIPANT_ID)
      • Unique Users = 10 (a count of unique participants based on UUID or NAME)
    • GET /metrics/webinars
      • Participants = 19
      • Total Users = 19
      • Max Concurrent Views = 3
      • Unique Viewers = 8

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT App Type

Which Endpoint/s?
Knowing the API endpoint/s can help us to identify your issue faster. Please link the ones you need help/have a question with.
GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants
GET https://api.zoom.us/v2/report/webinars/mkTIzzUSRQiu0Oy0gYV6IA==/participants?page_size=300
GET /metrics/webinars
GET https://api.zoom.us/v2/metrics/webinars?from=2020-10-27&page_size=300&to=2020-10-27&type=past
HTTP Webinar Attendee Report
zoom.us/account/report/webinar

The above are just examples of each type of API or report.

Thank you kindly for any insight you might have,
Sean

Hey @sohling,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. In regard to the discrepancy between the two APIs, it’s important to note that it’s not expected that these two endpoints will return matching data for a couple of reasons:

1. The Reports API reflects entries for participants who leave and rejoin a webinar, which can add to the total number of records
  2. The Dashboard API, if called during a live meeting, may return fluctuating data as it reflects events in near real-time.

How long after a meeting are you calling each endpoint? Are you seeing different data in the reports listed in the UI versus the Report API? If so, please provide a screenshot so that we can compare.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @MaxM,

Thanks for the reply!

I understand that the two APIs are not expected to match and I am trying to understand how Zoom calculates each of the counts so that I can provide accurate metrics with each. For now, let’s ignore the GET /report/webinars/{webinarId}/participants and just focus on the HTTP Webinar Attendee Report and how to get the data on this report from the API.

Specifically, I’m looking for the Total Users , Unique Viewers, and Max Concurrent Views

Total Users seems to match fairly accurately to the Participants within GET /metrics/webinars but when I show my metrics and the details, I know I will get the question about the telephone users so:

• Q? - When do telephoned in participants get counted in the Total Users of the HTTP Webinar Attendee Report ? Are they ever counted? Is there a document which details this?

• Regarding concurrent views, when the HTTP Attendee Webinar Report details 8 concurrent views, is this including hosts, or Panelists? (Looking at webinar_uuid = 865tZ+jjQsKdpB48gh/KQw==
    Is there a document which gives the details of each of the metrics on the HTTP Attendee Webinar Report ?

• Lastly, are there any details on exclusions or what defines a unique viewer within the HTTP Attendee Webinar Report

Thanks again !
Sean

Hey @sohling,

Thank you for the update. Currently, fetching information about Unique Viewers and Max Concurrent Viewers is not supported by the API. If this is something that you would like to see added to a future release, I recommend posting in the #feature-requests category. If you are just looking for the total users, then getting the participants field from the Get Webinar Details API will likely be of use.

When it comes to questions regarding the Report UI, I recommend reaching out to our Technical Support Team as they are experts when it comes to these reports and their metrics.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Thank you Max,

Sean

1 Like

Hey @sohling,

I’m glad to hear that answered your questions! If you have any further issues or questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.