Past Meeting Participants - Email addresses are encoded?

Description
Previously, we had relied upon the API call `past_meetings/{meetingId}/participants to determine who attended the meeting. We used the e-mail addresses in the API response to identify the corresponding users in our own system.

We now find that some (but not all) e-mail addresses are returned as eg.
1kI5Li741W1iS1Aw6PwbGx7HcV2Nd54PAPfzp7ySvf7CunX18rQ9.YAxC393PbsVpD6XN@<correct hostname>

Error
There is no error, just values in the response-body that make no sense.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
past_meetings/{meetingId}/participants

Questions

I would like to understand the following:

• Is this “working as intended”? Will we continue to see these encrypted e-mail addresses going forward?
  • Is there a way to decrypt the <user>@ part back to the original e-mail address?
  • Not all e-mail addresses are encrypted; is this because e.g. client preferences, whether the client is a registrant for the meeting? Or put another way: what instructions could we give participants to ensure their e-mail address comes through unencrypted?
  • Should we start looking at webhooks - is the intended approach going forward that you collect attendance during the meeting, via webhooks?
  • Are there alternative API call(s) that we can use to recover the e-mail addresses of all attendees?

Hey @james.alliance

Thanks for posting on the Zoom Devforum! I am still learning, but I will try my best to help answer your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Checkout these related threads that may have the answer you are looking for:

If these threads did not help, please let us know by replying back here and someone from the Developer Relations team will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
DeveloperBot

Sadly, these posts do not really address the issue I’m seeing.

Hey @james.alliance,

We are working to resolve this issue. I will keep you updated. (ZOOM-182022)

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks Tommy!

I’m pretty new to Zoom (as a developer, at least). ZOOM-182022 looks like a JIRA issue… where can I find the JIRA instance where this issue lives?

Hey @james.alliance,

The Jira issue is for internal Zoom tracking. I will keep you updated here.

That being said, are you still seeing this issue with the encoded emails? Can you share steps to reproduce?

Thanks,
Tommy

We’re still seeing the issue. For example meeting instance UUID OoI2RoqKRCiwhcF/WxUF3A== and T0MVZ3nnRx6YuvqsTC+duQ== have problems, while d2GtBrAjRbqQTv17DN5gZw== is OK.