Prevent same user from joining multiple times?

Is there a way to check if a user is already present in a meeting before allowing them to join ?

1. When I open my application in different browser tabs and click join meeting button, the same user is joining the meeting multiple times. (Same device and same browsers)
  2. Also I want to prevent the same user from joining multiple times to the same meeting across devices. (Same device and different browsers / different devices)

Web Client SDK version : 1.9.0

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Using the sample app GitHub - zoom/sample-app-web: Zoom Web SDK Sample App, give meeting id and click join multiple times
  2. Multiple browser tabs will be opened and the user can join multiple times from the opened tabs.

Hey @priyavarshini.muruga,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. Currently, the Web SDK doesn’t support user authentication so we aren’t able to restrict users from joining a meeting multiple times across devices.

We plan to improve this in the future but in the meantime, you can use the Zoom app in order to control if users are able to join from multiple devices.

You can also prevent a user from joining a meeting multiple times from a single device by checking the IP address that a user is joining from. You can then prevent a single IP address from joining multiple times.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks Max.
I use https://{company_name}.zoom.us/wc/5510439338/start and
when I try to join the meeting from second tab, I am removed from already joined meeting in the first tab.
Will it be possible for you to share how that works in case of launching the meeting from the same browser ?

I’m not aware of how our Web Client accomplishes this, but you can accomplish the same either by setting a value in Local Storage or by checking the local IP address that is joining the meeting.

There may be other methods that work for you too but these are the first two that come to mind.

Thanks,
Max

Thank you Max !

Using local storage to check duplicate meeting joins solved my issue partially (same browser scenario).

I tried using ‘list meeting participant’ api to check if a user with same display name and ip address is joining the meeting. But this did not solve the issue as this api returns a list of current meeting participants including those who already left the meeting. Also if we are using proxies, fetching ip address does not help much.

I’m glad to hear that helped! You’re right that when using a proxy, the user could get around the IP restrictions. When it comes to mapping IPs to users, you can likely maintain a list of IPs for each meeting and listen to the beforeUnload browser event.

When a user joins the meeting, you add their IP address to the list of IPs that are already in a meeting. When the beforeUnload event is triggered, the user closed the tab and their IP can be removed from the list of IP addresses.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.