Zoom Web SDK - Opening multiple tabs to join the zoom meeting with the same name

Description
Let’s say I joined the Zoom meeting through Web SDK, with username “ABC” on a browser tab (lets call it tab 1).
Then I open another tab on the same browser (let’s call it tab 2), then I joined the same zoom meeting with the same username “ABC”. (using the same username, meeting id, password, signature)
Then I see the zoom meeting on tab 1 was disconnected, going back to the leaveUrl. If I tried to join back to the zoom meeting on tab 1, tab 2 would be disconnected.

Error
This behavior is NOT consistent. Some of my coworkers tried the same steps, and when they open a new tab to join the zoom meeting, they get 2 “ABC” participants inside the zoom meeting.

Which Web Client SDK version?
SDK version 1.9.5

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Use the sample web app provided by Zoom
  2. Join the Zoom Meeting on one tab
  3. Duplicate that tab, join the meeting
  4. Check the behavior.
1 Like

Hey @hieukhuong,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. This is expected behavior based on how the Web SDK operates. It stores the Username under a dynamic key in LocalStorage and will attempt to use that name first if there is an ongoing meeting. This is with the goal of ensuring that users don’t rejoin a meeting with a different name.

This also reflects the fact that the Web SDK is designed to have one tab open at a time for one meeting. To get around this there are a couple of options:

1. Open additional meetings in a different browser or an incognito window
  2. Clear LocalStorage on the page
  3. Similar to the above, list the keys from LocalStorage and remove anything that isn’t part of a whitelist you manage. This means you can keep your own cache data and remove that of the Web SDK.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks for your reply!

So according to your explanation, the behavior involving having multiple duplicate users when opening multiple tabs is expected right.

And the behavior that Zoom auto disconnects an user on a tab when another tab opens Zoom and joins the meeting is a rare behavior right?

Is this inconsistency in behavior noticed by you guys? Do you guys have any plan to fix/update it?

Hi @hieukhuong ,

The Web SDK attempt to use a persisting Username from LocalStorage across an ongoing meeting is expected, but I have not experienced the second part of what you’re describing. Could you please share screenshots and a few details about the environments that your colleagues are joining the meeting from (i.e. browser, OS)? This way we have more context to try to reproduce what you’re seeing.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.