Problems accessing older single Team Chat messages

Hi,

We were able to download chat messages for a larger number of users, capturing senderID, ChannelID, messageID and message text.
We used GET /chat/users/{userId}/messages for this.

The problem we now ran into is that when using GET /chat/users/{userId}/messages/{messageId} or DELETE /chat/users/{userId}/messages/{messageId}, the API returns 400 for older chat messages.

Messages sent within a month or two can be listed and/or deleted.

Are there any time restrictions when accessing individual messages?

Thanks, Martin

@martin.henning investigating this right now

Hi Ojust,

Thank you for looking into this.

Are you saying that you were able to retrieve chat messages which are 2 months or older?

Retrieving and deleting newer chat messages works perfectly fine for me, but when trying to get a chat message I sent August 9 (just as an example), the API returns status 400.

Code 5401 / Message does not exist.

And I know that the message exists as I am able to retrieve it (together with others) when using

Hi,

Can you post the below two screenshots from (Sign In | Zoom)

You can also DM them to me.

Hi Ojus,

Sorry, but the tool does not allow me to include screenshots.

Comparing our settings to what you sent, the only difference is the retention period we are using.

We have 2 years for direct messages and group conversations as well as for channels.

So, according to the settings the messages a few months old should be still available.

Thanks, Martin

Hi,

Thank you for looking into this and your feedback.

The problem I reported is not with Microsoft Teams Chat, but with Zoom Team Chat. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Thanks,

Martin

@martin.henning Can you please share some tracking IDs of the API calls that you made?

@ojus.zoom , sorry, I am not 100% sure what you mean by tracking IDs.

This is the call log (sensitive data has been replaced with …) :

{

“endpoint”: “https://api.zoom.us//v2/chat/users/uZt...........7yw/messages/{3684...........C42D429D}”,

“method”: “GET”,

“response”: {

“code”: 5401,

“message”: “Message does not exist: {36843…2D429D}.”

},

“request_body”: “N/A”,

content-type=application/json; charset=utf-8, x-zm-trackingid=WEB_77d783d9e0a24480ddd58e386fe67ed5, x-zm-cluster-id=aw1, x-zm-aid=rZHYB_HWQyCN2-0UcHE7yw, accept-encoding=gzip, user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT; Windows NT 10.0; en-US) WindowsPowerShell/5.1.19041.3693}",

“request_params”: “{to_channel=6eec10…34503a07}”,

“http_status”: “400”

}

Does this help?

@martin.henning I got the tracking ID. Thanks

@martin.henning Thanks for providing us the details. Do you know when these options were activated?
Lets say for example, you are trying to retrieve the chat data from June, but the options in screenshot were not activated until august, then you wont get the messages before that date. We think that is exactly what is happening in your case.

@martin.henning seems like your question was incomplete.

@Ojus via Zoom Developer Forum, I am not aware that the settings ever have been changed.

Also, when using the API

List user’s chat messages

GET /chat/users/{userId}/messages

We can retrieve messages from the last few years.

That´s how we retrieve the various messageIDs.

Thanks, Martin