Protecting Meetings without required sign-in authentication

Hi, we host meetings/webinars through a portal on our website, and control access by registering, and approving registration for our users through the api.

Unfortunately, our users get really confused when they sign into zoom on the website and think that’s the same as signing in on the desktop/mobile application. (We also have to request their email so that we can authenticate them for the meetings they have access to, which creates headaches with typos and email address mix-ups).

The problem with only using password protection, is that anyone who correctly joins the meeting can look at the meeting info and share the information the password with users who are not supposed to be in the meeting.

I’m wondering if there’s any technique I haven’t considered our found yet. (maybe a setting to not show meeting info, or a way to authenticate users without requiring sign in through the zoom app).

I should also note that we’re using “zoomus” url to launch the client for our users.

PS: We’ll probably switch over to the webSDK to solve these problems once it has the features we need on the “Zoom Developer Roadmap”, but it would be great if we could improve our short term solution.

Thanks!

Hey @Zacht,

If you are using meeting registration, you could turn off the require users to sign into Zoom setting.

That way you can limit who has access to the meeting, and allow them to join with their unique join_url without them having to sign in with Zoom.

On top of that, you can disable the “Allow attendees to join from multiple devices” setting so no one can share their unique_join url with an outsider.

Let me know if that helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Oh, that is very interesting, I didn’t know disabling “Allow attendees to join from multiple devices” would have that affect. Thank you!

We’ve really been liking the zoomus and zoommtg link that launches their meeting without a redirect (they can just click a button on our website and go straight into the meeting). Is there a way to do something similar with the unique join url?

ALSO, I can’t figure out how to turn off “Allow attendees to join from multiple devices”. I can’t find it in the create meeting api, nor in user settings. It would be unfortunate if we had to manually disable this for every meeting created through the api.

Thanks again!

I’m afraid my question might have gotten a bit burried here so just a little bump :slight_smile:

Hey @Zacht,

Unfortunately we do not have a registration join_url Zoom Client URL Scheme. Feel free to add this as a feature request: Feature Requests

Good question, we don’t have API support for that setting right now, but we are working on it. Stay updated here:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks,
Tommy

Okay, I’ll make sure to do that.

Thanks for checking into those for me!

Zach

1 Like

Happy to help! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy Hi,
Please help with the following questions which are confusing to me.

1. How to generate unique_join_url per user. I could only get join_url from the Get /meeting api.
  2. Can I prevent the participant from joining the meeting using API once he registers for the meeting and is in the waiting room?

I just want a controlled access to my website. I am fed up with WebSDK client, so i am trying to seamlessly open Zoom desktop client by clicking a Join button in my website.

If you think there are any additions needed to make this process much easier, please do, I am more than happy to hear from you.

Hey @rajan.awasti99,

You can generate a unique join_url per user by using meeting registration.

Once the user is registered, they can click on their unique join_url and be admitted to the meeting.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey, is there anyway I can get an estimation of when this is going to be added? I’ve seen a lot of api updates since Jul 16, but haven’t seen anything about the registration options.

Oh nvm, just found that it’s going to be released in October in another thread.

1 Like

Yep! Currently slated for October. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy, has this feature been released?

Hey @gabef,

Thank you for your question. This feature hasn’t been implemented yet to my knowledge. I recommend submitting a comment or a post in our #feature-requests category if this is something you would like to see.

In the meantime, you can see our changelog and developer roadmap for new and upcoming features.

Thanks,
Max