Python code calling oauth but not reaching my redirect-uri

Hello all.
I’m new to trying to use oauth in my python code and web-app, (I’ve been using jwt till now), and despite following the tutorials supposedly to-the-letter, I’m obviously doing something wrong.

My setup is as follows:
I’ve defined and added the oauth app in the market place, and defined the redirect URL to the relevant flask-app on my site’s backend.
Clicking “add” works; I see the request in my site’s logs, and I get a response with a valid token.

So far so good.

However, I tried using this in my python code, by creating the authentication-request link -

def make_authorization_url():
    params = {"client_id": CLIENT_ID,
              "response_type": "code",
              "redirect_uri": REDIRECT_URI}
    enc_params = urllib.parse.urlencode(params)
    url = f"https://zoom.us/oauth/authorize?{enc_params}"
    return url

and then using a simple requests.get(make_authorization_url()) for parsing and aquiring the token, so that I can potentially then make api requests.

But it’s not working, and looking at my code’s logs and the web-app’s logs it seems like there are 2 things going wrong in parallel:

1. The authentication-url is returning a sign-in page instead of the expected token.
  2. I don’t even see any http message being logged on my site.

So it seems like the authentication-url isn’t reaching the redirect stage, because it’s not actually making a request, because it’s getting stuck on a sign-in page!

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?
(This might be a super simple mistake on my behalf; as mentioned - I’m really new to all this).

@shlomi.fenster ,

This is python right?
For Server to Server OAuth, I’m using something like this.
If you are using other OAuth flow, let me know, I’ll share a different solution.

import requests
import base64
import os
from dotenv import load_dotenv

# Load environment variables from .env file, this will try to load these values from your .env file
load_dotenv()

# Your .env file should look something like this

#CLIENT_ID='xxxxxxxxxx'
#CLIENT_SECRET='yyyyyyyyyyyyy'
#ACCOUNT_ID='zzzzzzzzzzzz'

# Access the environment variables
client_secret = os.getenv("CLIENT_SECRET")
client_id = os.getenv("CLIENT_ID")
account_id = os.getenv("ACCOUNT_ID")
oauth_url = 'https://zoom.us/oauth/token?grant_type=account_credentials&account_id='+account_id  # Replace with your OAuth endpoint URL

def get_access_token():
    try:
        # Create the Basic Authentication header
        auth_header = f'Basic {base64.b64encode(f"{client_id}:{client_secret}".encode()).decode()}'

# Define the headers for the OAuth request
        headers = {
            'Authorization': auth_header,
        }

# Make the OAuth request
        response = requests.post(oauth_url, headers=headers)

# Check if the request was successful (status code 200)
        if response.status_code == 200:
            # Parse the JSON response to get the access token
            oauth_response = response.json()
            access_token = oauth_response.get('access_token')
            return access_token
        else:
            print(f'OAuth Request Failed with Status Code: {response.status_code}')
            print(response.text)
            return None
    except Exception as e:
        print(f'An error occurred: {str(e)}')
        return None

Your code helped me fix one problem I think, which was to simply replace my requests.get with a requests.post, which makes sense. Thanks.
However! I’m now getting a {'code': 200, 'message': 'Account does not enabled REST API.'} reply.
What am I doing wrong now? Or should I open a new post because this is probably a different problem?

@shlomi.fenster I would recommend you to do so, as my other colleagues who are familiar with that error message might be able to help you with that issue.