[questions] 1.9.1 improvements details

Hello,

It’s been a while i did not check this forum, also forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere.
I’ve seen the 1.9.1 is out for a few days with some improvements.

Is it possible to get routed to a documentation or just reply to my opened questions below regarding these improvements ?

Added support for hosts to delete chat messages for in meeting or Webinar chats.

Can this be configured (active/non-active) ?

Added support for Chrome Origin Trials within the WebSDK

What does this means ?

Added support dialog informing customers to update WebSDK version

Does it means that from 1.9.1, we will now have a dialog zone where messages related to upgrade would popup when a new WebSDK is out and we did not upgrade yet ?

Hey @nvivot,

Thank you for your questions, I’m happy to help out here!

Added support for hosts to delete chat messages for in meeting or Webinar chats.

Yes, this can be configured. The first step is to reach out to us at developersupport@zoom.us so that we can enable a setting on your account. This will then provide the following setting on your Meeting Settings page:

Added support for Chrome Origin Trials within the WebSDK

The Chrome Browser has a program called the Origin Trials where you can beta test new features. The Web SDK now supports adding the Origin Trials that you would like to participate in via the prepareJssdk() function.

ZoomMtg.prepareJssdk([
    'WebAssembly SIMD',
    'WebCodecs'
  ]);

Currently, the following Origin Trials may be helpful:

1. WebAssembly SIMD improve video/sharing performace
  2. WebCodecs will solve response time when starting video

Added support dialog informing customers to update WebSDK version

Yes, that’s correct. If the user attempts to join with an incompatible version of the Web SDK, they’ll see the following message:

Whereas, out of date Web SDK implementations may see this message:

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM

Thank you very much, appreciate your answers.

About:

• SIMD: we tested it a while ago (probably last October) and could not notice any real improvement in the CPU management with low CPU specs. I did not see any publication since it has been introduced in 1.8.0, did you continued to improve it ?

• WebCodes: do you means that you support other codecs than yours provided in WebAssembly, like codecs that would be already there in the browser? Do you have documentation about that ?

Hey @nvivot,

I’m glad that helped!

When it comes to SIMD, I know that we have been working to improve the CPU utilization of the Web SDK in general. I’m sure that we have also improved how the Web SDK works with SIMD but I don’t have any documentation covering that.

It’s also important to note that for very low performance CPUs, SIMD might not show a huge improvement if the CPU has limited cores/threads.

For instance, let’s say we have an Intel CPU that has two cores without hyperthreading, so 2 threads. One thread might already be busy with Windows/Chrome tasks. Leaving one thread available for all the other processes running, including the Web SDK.

Enabling SIMD on that system might allow the Web SDK to operate marginally more efficiently but overall won’t be able to improve performance due to the limited cores/threads on that system.

When it comes to WebCodecs, this allows the use of low-level codec APIs in the browser that improve network latency and CPU utilization. It doesn’t allow the use of any new codecs when it comes to using it with Zoom. Essentially, it improves on the codec performance by avoiding what is already used by WebAssembly and offering its own low-level API. This can improve delays when starting and stopping video.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

All good, thank you!

1 Like

I’m happy to hear that helped! :slightly_smiling_face:

Max

Hi Max,
all we have to do is include this in our code? Or we need to register for origin trials?
Thanks
Alfonso

Hey @alfonso.moscato

Good question! My understanding is that you would still want to make sure you’re registered for the for the Origin Trials and included your enabled Origin Trials with a meta tag.

To confirm this, I’ve reached out to our engineering team to see if they are able to provide more insight. I’ll be sure to update you here. (CS-3073)

Thanks,
Max

Hi,

Is there any update on this? Do we still need to add the meta tag?

Regards,
Lara

Hey @lfrancia,

Thank you for the update. I haven’t heard from our engineering team just yet but I reached out to them again to see if they are able to clarify this detail. When they respond, I’ll update you ASAP.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @lfrancia,

Thank you for your patience. Our engineering team got back to me and indicated that the meta tag is still required when using the the Origin Trials feature.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM ,

Thank you for confirming it.

Regards,
Lara

I’m happy to help! I’ll go ahead and close this topic now.

Max