Re: Microphone is not automatically detected after disconnecting and connecting microphone

Description
Unable to unmute audio anymore after disconnecting and connecting an external microphone.

Error
After disconnecting and reconnecting an external microphone, an error Your browser is preventing access to your microphone. is encountered when attempting to unmute.

Which version?
1.8.0 and 1.8.5

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Join meeting and select Join Audio by Computer
  2. Unmute (microphone should be external and the only audio output of the device)
  3. Disconnect external microphone while still unmuted
  4. An exclamation point is shown on the microphone icon
  5. Reconnect external microphone
  6. User can no longer unmute

Screenshots

Please check the video at Remalyn Basco / Mic Not Detected Video in Zoom · GitLab when the issue is encountered. Note that when both mic and camera shows an exclamation point, that is the part where user removed the only microphone and camera of the device.

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: Windows
  • Browser: Chrome

Additional context
Note that we don’t run the Web SDK in an iframe. And our users would only use Chrome for the Zoom web SDK.

Hey @remalyn_basco,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. Please test this with the latest version of the SDK (1.9.0) and let us know if the issue persists.

If so, does refreshing the page resolve the issue? I’m thinking this is related to Chrome behavior rather than something we are able to change on our end.

Thanks,
Max

We have the same problem using the Windows App in a networked system. Users take turns using a computer, and when one disconnects his microphone headset and the other connects theirs, the microphone is somehow completeley disabled, though it doesn’t appear “muted” on screen, nor with an “!”. The only option is to log off and then log on.

To add to my last post, sometimes it happens that when reconnecting the headphone is also disabled and the only option is to listen through the computer’s tinny speaker.

Hey @rskopec,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. This likely has to do with how browsers handle device security. If one device that was in use is removed, the SDK can’t tell if this is because the browser is blocking the device access or if the device was removed.

When you change the audio device that you’re using, I would try plugging in the new device first, then switching to it before unplugging the old device. If that doesn’t work, refreshing the page with the Web SDK should allow the browser to request access to the new device.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks for replying. Problem is that I am an interpreter and I team, that is, take turns, with another interpreter using the same computer. For health reasons we don’t share the same headset. Each has his own. So we are forced to unplug one headset and plug in the other one when switching. We have only one jack.

Hey @rskopec,

Thank you for providing more detail. If the above methods don’t work for you, then you may find the best solution is to purchase an adapter. You can find adapters that plug in to the audio port on your device and provide two outputs. With this, one headset could mute their microphone while the other is working and vice versa but the computer would always see one device.

If you would like this hot swappable audio device feature to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the #feature-requests category. However, we are likely limited by browser restrictions.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.