Registrants_confirmation_email vs registrants_email_notification

Just looking at creating a meeting via the api and noticed the documentation only has registrants_email_notification in the request schema and example.

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/meetings/meetingcreate

However the response (and also when you get a specific meeting) has both registrants_email_notification and registrants_confirmation_email listed in the schema and example.

So first of all these are very similarly named options and descriptions. Do they do different things? registrants_confirmation_email suggests that the registrant will get a confirmation email after they have been approved if true.

registrants_confirmation_email

Send confirmation email to registrants

registrants_email_notification

registrants email notification

So what does the registrants_email_notification do?

And why isn’t registrants_confirmation_email in the request schema settings?

1 Like

“registrants_confirmation_email” => false
“registrants_email_notification” => true

you get in the response:

“registrants_confirmation_email” => true
“registrants_email_notification” => true

if you send:

“registrants_email_notification” => false

you get

if you send:

“registrants_confirmation_email” => false

you get

So I’ve noticed that they don’t appear to be connected as an alias, and it doesn’t seem possible to actually pass a value for registrants_confirmation_email

It just sets to a default true

How are you meant to stop it sending confirmation emails by default?

So the only way I can see setting to false is by doing a PATCH immediately after creating the meeting.

I’ve just done a quick test and that does then set registrants_confirmation_email to false

Can anyone explain this? @tommy :pray:

In testing I can see if registrants_email_notification is true you get status updates (approve/deny/cancel) from testing a cancel PUT.

Hey @neil.freeman,

registrants_confirmation_email is the confirmation email they receive after they have registered / been registered.

registrants_email_notification are the emails sent after their registrant status is updated and I think also reminder emails sent before the meeting.

@shrijana.g can you confirm if the docs are correct?

Thanks,
Tommy

:wave: Thanks @tommy, yeah it seems to be impossible to set registrants_confirmation_email when the zoom meeting is created via the API. So the documentation is technically correct atm, but it should be added to docs and made possible to send a false value.

I’ve current got my code calling a PATCH after its created to set it to false which works but feels a bit hacky when it should just need one call.

I’m a bit amazed that nobody has spotted this, unless its not common to send your own emails. If there was a way to brand via the API then I might use that, but seems only possible in the account manually.

@tommy just noticed another undocumented quirk, registrants_email_notification needs to be true if you want registrants_confirmation_email to be true.

If its registrants_email_notification is false you still won’t get the confirmation email even if registrants_confirmation_email is true

So you can’t disable the registrant status/reminder emails without affecting the confirmation email.

I would have thought these should be independent actions, or at least documented that setting the registrants_email_notification to false takes precedence and stops confirmation emails.

Hey @neil.freeman,

Appreciate you bringing this up to us, we will make this more clear in our docs! CC @shrijana.g :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like