Restricting Participants to Only Those Invited

We use the following API to create meetings for fitness classes: Zoom Meeting API

I am looking for more information on how we can make the meeting more secure as today many students will share the links with their friends.

Description
We have created a Zoom solution that allows our customers (fitness businesses) to create virtual classes. These fitness businesses will have their students register and then we give join meeting links. However, we have a few customers who have expressed concerns with students sharing links. They have asked us to help make the meetings more secure so that students can’t share links to their friends who have not paid for the class.

I have looked at two options, but wanted to get more insight on how to best use these and if there might be another option that can solve the customer pain point.

1. Enable require authorization (Requiring authentication to join a meeting or webinar - Zoom Support) for Zoom Meeting API there is meeting_authentication. For our customers that want this, we could create each meeting with this set to true and then for each registered student we would pass their email so that the email can be used as authentication when they sign in to their Zoom account? Is this how the flow would work with this option? The drawback I find with this is that they need to sign in before each meeting and the other issue is that if the email they use to book a class with the fitness business is different from their Zoom account email we would not be able to authenticate.
  2. Waiting Room - Using the Zoom Meeting API, we could enable the waiting room on a specific meeting that we create through the API right? We would not want to enable this across all our customers as some have not expressed concerns with securing their meeting links. With this option, it would require more work for the class instructor to check the registration list to the names of those sitting in the waiting room.

Hi @zenotidev ,

There are many threads and support articles on this. Please check out our search feature :slight_smile:

Here are a few:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065026

Thanks Gianni.

The issue with the restricting users solution/meeting authentication which I mentioned in my original post is if the email address is not the same for Zoom and the fitness business accounts. If someone makes an account with Email A for the yoga company and Email B for their Zoom account, then this meeting authentication would fail right? The user would not be able to join the meeting. Is there any solution for overwriting this as the host of the meeting? Would this user be flagged to them in any way?

Also can you provide more on my question around Waiting Room implementation? This can be enabled by meeting and not for the whole account?

It looks like there is an authentication_exception parameter in the create meeting api:

With this would we be able to pass along the emails of our registered users and then they wouldn’t have to register?

1 Like

Also for the Restrict Participant access thread, the links have been broken with the new updates to the Zoom site. Can you share the following updated links (they currently 404):

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/webhook-reference/meeting-events/meeting-registrant-created

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/meetings/meetingregistrantcreate

Hi @zenotidev ,

This is a misunderstanding. Please see below for clarification:

Essentially, you have several options to define an authenticated user. See the support article for more guidance:
https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0061263

Registration and meeting authentication are two separate settings and are not dependent upon one another. You can require both, either or neither. In your instance, I would enable both to best ensure only certain people have access to the meeting.

Hope this clears things up!