Run Desktop Meeting SDK in server side

Hi All,

I need to consume audio and video stream separately for real-time analysis. I posted this requirement in the group and got the answer that desktop SDK is the best option I have.

previous post

I discussed this option with the development team and they have some concerns. I thought to post them in the group.

1. Is it a good practice to use a SDK in server side which is designed for building Desktop Apps

2. Is it possible to run SDK in containerised environment which has no audio/ video devices. (This i am planning to test)

It is really great if someone can help on this.

Thank You,

Hi @sukitha.jayasinghe, thanks for the post.

Is it a good practice to use a SDK in server side which is designed for building Desktop Apps

While this is technically not the intended use case of the Meeting SDK, it is absolutely valid and should work as long as the device meets the hardware/software requirements to run Zoom. We do have a significant number of developers already using our Windows Meeting SDK in such a manner.

Is it possible to run SDK in containerised environment which has no audio/ video devices. (This i am planning to test)

According to our system requirements, Zoom does require audio/video capabilities, but I am not certain how the SDK will respond to running on a device without them. If there are any significant issues (e.g. not being able to join a meeting), you should be able to circumvent them by setting up virtual audio/video devices.

Thanks!

Thank you again @jon.zoom

I already know that there is no Linux SDK available and No Media Hook available. Are those included in any roadmap :smiley:

Hi @sukitha.jayasinghe,

No problem! We would like to eventually release a Linux SDK, but do not have concrete plans or a general timeline at this time.

Can you please clarify what you mean by media hook? Are you looking to directly access the video/audio from a meeting?

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom,

Thank you for considering the Linux SDK, Developers would really like to work with linux SDK for server side development.

My idea is stream audio/video to a media processing pipeline (like AWS kinesis video stream) in realtime. Zoom already provides realtime streaming (like youtube live) with single mixed stream. I am looking for any solution which can give user wise streaming server to server.

Thanks!

Hi @sukitha.jayasinghe,

Currently, the only way to access per-user audio and video data would be through the newly added raw recording feature. Most commonly, developers have used our Windows Meeting SDK to access this, although it is also available on macOS. An overview of how this feature works can be found here, but let me know if you have any specific questions on how it works which are not covered in our documentaiton.

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom,

Thank you for the reply. I read a few posts related to this requirement and found that raw data access is a closed feature and requires license link. But those details are not documented. Is this a correct understanding? I am assigned to check the technical feasibility and build a POC. If this is a closed feature, Do you have a partnership program that enables such features?

Hi @sukitha.jayasinghe,

Raw data access used to be gated behind a license, but with the raw recording feature all SDK apps can now access raw data in a meeting. As long as you are using v5.9.0 or newer, you will have access to raw data through this feature.

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom

That is good news. Now it is confirmed that the POC is technically feasible. I will try this out and post if I face any issues.

Glad to hear it! Definitely feel free to reach out in a new topic with any additional questions. :slightly_smiling_face: