Self Video in PureJS demo stopped working in Chrome

Description
I have tested the PureJS demo several times before and it was working properly. We’ve based most of our code on it. 2 days ago, the self video of our app stopped working, with no changes made. I tested the PureJS demo again and the self video of it stopped working as well. No error message, everything else is working, meeting joined, the green light of the camera goes on and off but the video is not shown on the screen. Video works in preview but does not render when in a meeting. It works fine in Safari (except for audio, which is expected). The React demo works fine too. Tried resetting Chrome also, same result.

Error
No error message is displayed. The name of the participant disappears, which normally means the video should start rendering, but nothing is rendered. Happens only in Chrome.

Which Web Video SDK version?
This is using the PureJS demo, using either web video SDK 1.1.0 or 1.3.0. Same results.

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Download the PureJS demo, make necessary configurations.
  2. Run the PureJS demo in Chrome
  3. Join the meeting
  4. Toggle the camera on/off

Screenshots

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: Macbook Pro
  • Browser: Chrome Version 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional context
This used to work; still works fine in Safari. React demo works with no issues also.

Hey @stipoy

Thanks for your feedback.

This is a known issue. We use ImageCapture in Video SDK, but it has potential problems that may cause video stuck. So we introduce WebCodecs to improve the issue. Since the API is not stable yet, you should register an origin trial to enable this feature.

Thanks
Vic

Hi Vic,

Thank you for your reply. Does this mean the Video SDK is not really suitable for a production project right now? We were really hoping to launch soon.

Thanks,
Stephen

Hey @stipoy

Video SDK is suitable for production. Origin trial is a way to use a pre-release feature of Chrome, our team is cooperating deeply with the Chrome team to help improve Chrome’s functionality.

Thanks
Vic

1 Like

Hi Vic, what should we tell end-users is the recommended browser to use for our project? I was initially under the impression Chrome works best, but with this issue, what browser works best? As I understand it these are the known issues for each browser :
Chrome - self video not rendering
Firefox - cannot render multiple videos in canvas
Safari - no audio/ no mic access

Hey @stipoy

Chrome is still the best choice. Once you apply the origin trial, the video stuck issue will be resolved.

Thanks
Vic

Hi Vic,

Registered for the origin trial already, and added the token in my META tag. Still the same issue in Chrome though. Self video still not appearing. Is there anything I missed?

ok applied for Web Isolation Origin Trials and it seems to work already.

Hey @stipoy

That’s right. Thanks for sharing your solution. Starting from Chrome 92, you need to apply the Web Isolation OT for SharedArrayBuffer.

Thanks
Vic

Thanks too. I think we finally got it to be pretty stable in Chrome. Here’s the link in case anyone wants to see a working demo https://beta.gameroom.app/

Thanks for sharing your demo @stipoy ! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.