Sometimes a new attendee's ID isn't the same ID as the participent's ID

I create a new registrant for a meeting like this:
POST /meetings/{$meetingId}/registrants

And I get back, among other things, “registrant_id”:“AsjdU8RZTciD2eJck6FdNg”

But when I ask for the attendees, like this:
GET /report/meetings/{$meetingId}/participants

I see, among other things, {“id”:“bWizobLeR9e36GF2_3XSZA”

Now sometimes this “id” I get back from asking for participants matches the “registrant_id” I get back from making the participant. But sometimes they are different.

Is this normal? Does this “id” ever change when I’m not looking? I would love if I could somehow match my registrants to the attendance report.

Hi @tim2,

To clarify, these are all registrants you’re creating on your own? When you’re joining the meetings as your created attendees, do you have them consistently logged in?

Gianni

Hi Gianni.

Yes, I’m creating these registrants myself with the API. I give these registrants the URL to join the meeting that this API call gives me. They can all log in fine with that URL. And on the Zoom website, we can see that all these people were there at the meeting.

And the API call to the report does show all these people having attended, but their IDs just don’t always match (but sometimes they do), so I can’t always match who exactly was actually there.

Hey @tim2,

Thanks for clarifying here. The ID field from the Get Meeting Participant Reports API is expected to show the UUID of the participant or be blank:

If you’re seeing that the registrant ID is being returned here I’ll need to clarify this with our engineering team and update our documentation. In the meantime, you can try using the registrant_id field from that API:

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks for helping me with this. Maybe I should give an example of what I’m doing.

First, I make a meeting with the API. Let’s call it meeting # 91346637404. That works fine.

Then I register a registrant for this meeting by posting to /meetings/91346637404/registrants. I pass in stuff like name, and I get back something like this:

{"registrant_id":"gHiuVxCRTfuKuGBIo7s5KQ","id":91346637404,"topic":"The name of the meeting","start_time":"2022-01-06T05:00:00Z","join_url":"https:\/\/something.zoom.us\/w\/91346637404?tk=T3gKbNqSMwsrglE5uLX-35XaHsVCY3VAhzhuW4tyhRM.DQMAAAAVRK8SXBZnSGl1VnhDUlRmdUt1R0JJbzdzNtRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA&pwd=VTY1STEwbGE4ZXRyREo4Q1pSQ0JBUT09"}

Then after the meeting is over, I get a list of attenders by making a GET request to /report/meetings/91346637404/participants?page_size=300&include_fields=registrant_id

This returns to me a JSON object which includes a field called “participants” which is an array. One of the items in this array is this:

{"id":"ABUegZ8UQxmXYOfrL8YVNw","user_id":"16788480","name":"Jimmy Joe Smith","user_email":"participant430926464152077@example.com","join_time":"2022-01-05T23:01:21Z","leave_time":"2022-01-06T00:02:54Z","duration":3693,"attentiveness_score":"","registrant_id":"ABUegZ8UQxmXYOfrL8YVNw","failover":false,"customer_key":""}

So my question is this: How am I supposed to know who this participant is? Neither the “id”, nor the “registrant_id”, nor the “user_id” match anything I get back from registering this person. How do I know which registrant this participant is?

Thanks.

Hey @tim2,

Thank you for following up on this. From what I can tell, you shouldn’t be getting a different registrant ID when adding a registrant versus the reports. I’ll need to clarify this with an internal resource.

Are you able to provide recent requests and responses where this happened? If so, please submit a ticket through our Developer Support Center with a link to this thread.

I’ll follow up with you there.

Thanks,
Max

I think our problem might be that some of our users are sharing links, which means they are connecting to Zoom with their own Zoom account, not as a registrant of our meeting, so we have no idea who they actually are.

You can close this thread. We’ve decided to take attendance some other way.

@tim2 I’m glad to hear that you have a path forward! I’ll go ahead and close this topic now but feel free to open a new topic if you encounter any further issues or questions.