Start_url expired but still works?

Description
I am trying to automate the task of creating events and using Zapier to do so. I am making a custom call to the Zoom API that allows for the creation of a meeting, and the start URL is emailed to the host.

I read that start_url has an expiry of 2 hours from when it is generated (when the create meeting call is made), however, I have tried to click the link as host after 2 hours and it still works. Confused as to how.

A user should be able to create an event a month in advance and I read that with custom users and custom links the expiry date is 90 days. Is this the approach I will have to use, but why does my start_url link still work when it was generated over 2 hours ago.

Hey @bhavik.narang99

Thanks for posting on the Zoom Devforum! I am still learning, but I will try my best to help answer your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Checkout this related thread that may have the answer you are looking for:

If this thread did not help, please let us know by replying back here and someone from the Developer Relations team will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
DeveloperBot

The thread here is similar but I would just like to know if me being able to still use the start_url after expiration was a one off or something?

Hey @bhavik.narang99,

Did you use the same start_url that was returned by the Create Meeting API call, or did you do a GET request to the Meetings endpoint to retrieve the start_url? If it’s the latter, a refreshed URL would be returned.

However, if it’s the first, can you provide the URL?

Thanks!
Will

It would not be the latter.

The start_url you can test it with is https://zoom.us/s/95783323269?zak=eyJ6bV9za20iOiJ6bV9vMm0iLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.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.FF-rMry3PFT1UMqHFEbNMIHcMiH20W6I4nIPq1Sw4v4

It was created at 2020-09-30T11:00:05Z

join_url being join_url https://zoom.us/j/95783323269?pwd=cWpqZlZoVkhFT09Nbm15ek83L2ZSUT09

Hey @bhavik.narang99,

Thanks for confirming and for providing the link. We are looking into this for you (ZOOM-203229).

Best,
Will

Thanks a ton for your help!

@bhavik.narang99 No problem, I’ll follow up here one I have an update.

Best,
Will

Hey @bhavik.narang99,

Our team is taking a closer look, but so far we haven’t been able to reproduce the issue. Is it possible that you might have logged in to the Zoom web portal, and then used this start URL in the same browser? I’m wondering if there could have been a caching issue.

Thanks,
Will

Hey @will.zoom,

I took the link and tried to start it in an incognito window just so it would force me to login again as the host. Thing is it allowed me after 2 hours which is what I was confused about. This is not urgent for us anymore as we found a workaround for the issue. We are just going to take the join_url and distribute it and get the host of the meeting to log in before opening so they enter the meeting as host.

Thanks for the help!

Hey @bhavik.narang99,

Thanks for clarifying, and glad to hear that you’ve found a workaround. Should this become a larger issue for you, please do let me know and I’m happy to keep investigating!

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.