The user.activation webhook event is not sent when new user activates using the invite email link

Description/Error
New functionality with our Zoom integration relies on “user.activation” webhook events, yet we do not receive them when a new user initially activates their account from the email invite. I am testing this from our Dev sub-account, and, have verified that we never receive this webhook event. We do successfully receive the “user.activation” webhook event when activating a user from the Zoom.us “User Management” admin page. But we need this to work when a user initially activates their account via the invite email link.

Which Endpoints or App Types
I have tested webhooks on our Dev sub-account using the JWT app and subscribing to the user webhook events. I also tried testing with subscribing to webhook events via the Webhook Only app, and see similar behavior.

How To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

• Setup JWT app in marketplace and enable WebHook subscriptions for user events.
  • Confirm webhooks are successfully sent from zoom and receive at the “Event notification endpoint URL” when activating and deactivating existing users from the Zoom “User Management” admin page.
  • Create a user via the API (which sends an email invite to the user)
  • Check “Activate your Zoom Account” button in email invite
  • Proceed to setup account by setting a password
  • Notice the new user is activated in the Zoom “User Management” admin page
  • Notice that no “user.activation” webhook event was sent by Zoom or received by the “Event notification endpoint URL” . Nor is the event ever sent after the user proceeds to create/join meetings from Zoom.us. Our LMS is unaware that the user’s account is activated.

Hi @tfarmer.2u,

Welcome to the Zoom Developer Community. Happy to help you.

• Can you confirm if user.activation is the only event that you are not receiving?
  • Can you try to use a URL from a webhook testing site (for e.g: webhook.site) and check if you are receiving the event?

Thanks,
Ojus

• Can you confirm if user.activation is the only event that you are not receiving?
    We actually do receive all events that we subscribe to, even the user.activation event. However, we do not receive this event when a user activates their account via the invite email link. If an admin activates their account manually, we do receive the event.

• Can you try to use a URL from a webhook testing site (for e.g: webhook.site) and check if you are receiving the event?
    Since we do receive all subscribed webhook events, I see no need to test on a testing site. I assume you agree?

I verified for you on webhook.site that we do not receive the user.activation event automatically when the user activates their account by clicking on “Activate your Zoom Account” button in email invite.

However, as you can see, we do receive the user.activation and user.deactivation events when an admin manually deactivates the user and activates them again from the Zoom “User Management” admin page.

Hi @tfarmer.2u,

Thank you for reporting this. I just checked with our Engineering team and confirming that the behavior that you are experiencing is by design.

That being said, our team is already working on a feature that would send event notification out when a user accepts the invitation and activates. The ID for this feature within our system is ZOOM-103514.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this issue is causing, and we hope to roll out the feature soon.

Thanks,
Ojus

Is there a way for me to track ZOOM-103514 on my end so I know the progress? If so, please provide a link. If not, do you have an estimate of when this feature may be rolled out? Thank you!

Hi @tfarmer.2u,

Although there is no way to track the request, I am personally monitoring the progress of the issue for you.

I will update this thread as soon as the feature is out!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Ojus

1 Like

Hi any update on this? we’d like to be part of pilot for this feature.

Hey @ckuo,

The code is finished and waiting to be released with one of our upcoming releases.

You can track our releases here to be notified.

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks,
Tommy