Meeting ID versus UUID Confusion

Sorry to ask such a basic question but there is no information in the documentation and the forum responses are a bit thin. I understand that meeting id is one for each meeting and each meeting can have many sessions, resulting in a new uuid. What is considered a new instance and when does it occur? Does it only occur when someone “starts” the meeting?

How does this apply to recurring meetings? Is each instance of a recurring meeting have a unique uuid? How do you uniquely identify the individual meetings of a recurring meeting? In my testing, it seems that all meeting instances in a recurring meeting has the same meeting id and uuid? Some more documentation would be immensely helpful. I’ve seen posts from 2018 that have the same request for documentation.

The odd part is when I use list meeting, it pulls back all the recurring instances, but they have the same meeting id and uuid. How do you uniquely identify an instance of a recurring meeting?

How do you link a recording to a single instance of a recurring meeting? The recording file only has the meeting id, date and time. And the api only allows you to search by meeting id or uuid?

Hey @klhdevone, no need to say sorry! :slight_smile:

A new instance is a meeting that has been created.

It occurs when it is created. For example a recurring meeting does not have to be “started” to get a uuid. Future meetings created have a meeting uuid even if they have not been started yet.

Recurring meetings have the same meeting ID, but different meeting uuids.

Yes

The meeting UUID

Each meeting instance should have a unique meeting uuid.

The meeting uuid

The meeting uuid

You can also search by users recordings

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/cloud-recording/recordingslist

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks Tommy, what you said makes sense but is not what I’m seeing. I’m getting the same meeting id and uuid for each instance of a recurring meeting. Here is the data I"m getting back from the list meetings. You can see that each recurring meeitng set has the same meeting id and uuid. There are three meetings in this list…two are recurring (recurring test and recurring meeting 2) and then there is a single meeting (new meeting). You’ll notice both of the recurring meeting sets have the exact same meeting and uuid. I’d expect the same meeting id, but would expect the uuid to be different.

Does it matter that this is a free account? Really appreciate your help as I’ve built the app with your explanation as how it should work so the duplicated uuid’s are throwing me.

1 Like

Hey @klhdevone,

Apologies, the UUID is created when meeting starts. If the meeting has not started yet, the uuid is the same.

We will update our documentation to make this more clear.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Thanks Tommy, so there is no unique id for a scheduled instance of a recurring meeting until after it starts? That seems very odd. I’m trying to figure out how to track meetings from being scheduled all the way through to getting the recordings but there doesn’t appear to be anyway of doing so? Any suggestions or tips?

Also is there any documentation you can add in this ticket to help? Specifically around the use case I outlined above? I’m hoping to not have to wait for documentation to be updated as I’m in the middle of a project, so anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I can garner from your feedback and other posts. When a meeting is scheduled, each meeting occurrence has the same meeting id and uuid. When performing a list meetings Rest call, it pulls back all instances of the meeting occurrences, but there is no unique identifier besides a combination of meeting id and startdate/enddate. When teh user starts the meeting, a new instance is created with a new uuid and the same meeting id. There is no way to link this instance back to the scheduled meeting instance. ONce the meeting is ended or recording is completed, a webhook can send along the newly created uuid but again there is no way to link it to the meeting instance of the recurring meeting that was scheduled. doing it by meeting id and start/end dates seems unstable. The webhooks show no reference to occurrence id. Also, from your post there seems to be some variances in the uuid if the meeting is started prior to the start time versus after the start time.

Hey @klhdevone,

For recurring meetings each occurring meeting has its own unique occurrence ID, even though they use the same UUID.

You can tie the unique occurrence ID to the newly generated UUID after the meeting starts.

There is also an occurrence array on the meeting webhooks to determine the meeting instance.

Let me know if this clears things up.

Thanks,
Tommy

In case of dashboard APIs ,
All APIs like list participants QOS only accept meeting UUID or meeting ID.
In case of recurring meetings, is there a way to get data about each occurence of a meeting ?

Hey @alayvakil,

After the recurring meeting has happened, the UUID changes and becomes unique to the other occurrences.

Does that clear things up?

Thanks,
Tommy

However, there is a query parameter that asks for type of meetings. Even if I pass type = past , which means meetings that happened in the past, I get multiple meetings with the same UUID.

Do past meetings include unstarted meetings ? Should we expect meetings with repeated UUIDs here ? What do these meetings mean ? They were scheduled but never started ?

Hey @alayvakil,

Can you share your request and response with the multiple meetings with same UUID so I can look at the logs?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @tommy I have a simple question.
How can we handle recurrence meeting using zoom Api?
Can we handle this using recurrence rule?
I think zoom does not provide create meeting using standard recurrence rule?

Hey @atul, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

You can create meetings with recurrence by setting the recurrence object and properties.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks,
Tommy

Thank you @tommy that answers my question

1 Like

Happy to help! :slight_smile:

-Tommy