Unable to map meeting registrant id with live participant id

Hey @tommy

Is there any way a host who has joined zoom webinar through zoom client can enable a participant to talk when the participant has joined the webinar through web sdk.
Currently, we get a message “the participant is using an older version of zoom” when the host tries to unmute a web sdk participant, the other option to make the participant join as a panelist also doesn’t work in zoom web sdk.
Is ther any way we can unmute the participant who has joined from zoom web sdk?
I am using Zoom SDK version 1.7.4 (which is the latest release)

Thank you

Hey @saurabh,

Currently the Web SDK does not support allow to talk or promote to panelist for attendees.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @tommy

Hope you are doing good.
For meeting id 957-9753-0174, the participants list data returned by the API doesn’t seem complete as reported by few attendees, and in the dashboard, I am not able to view the list of participants at all for this particular meeting id, for all the other meetings, I am able to.
Could you please look into this?

Thank you

Hey @tommy

Any help on this?

Thank you

Hey @saurabh,

Are you getting errors when making the API request?

Please start a new thread since this is a new issue.

Thanks,
Tommy

Here is the link to my new thread.

Thank you

Thanks @saurabh,

I will keep you updated.

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy Is there a resolution to the original topic of this thread?

Thank you

Hey @tommy,

Any update on the Registrant ID being overwritten with a user ID when an attendee joins with their url while signed-in Zoom for a registration required meeting?

Actually, it looks like when a registrant joins a meeting without signing-in Zoom, the Participant ID is blank

Hi @tommy ,

Hope you are well!

We are also looking for this.

In the meeting.registration_created webhook, a Registrant ID and join_url is returned in the payload. We would expect that if a user joins the meeting from that same join_url, that the Registrant ID would be in the returned payload from the meeting.participant_joined webhook. This way we can reliably map registered users to users that join the meeting.

Thank you for your help with this

1 Like

Hey @fred, @neecholai,

Per the docs,

We are working on persisting the registration id even if they have not logged in, while using the registration join_url in a future release.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

Do you have an update on this issue?

Our current workaround is to use the registrant email for registration required meetings to map to the original registration and it works for 90% of cases if they login Zoom or not, but if they login Zoom with a different email it obviously doesn’t work.

The fix would be to simply emit the original registrant id even if they don’t login Zoom to join the meeting.

Let me know - thanks!

1 Like

Hey @fred,

No updates yet, but that is the scenario we are considering while developing this.

Thanks,
Tommy

OK, thanks for the update.

Eagerly awaiting good news :slight_smile:

Participant email is now encrypted!

So as of this morning, it looks like you are now returning Participant emails encrypted? So our workaround isn’t working anymore because we can’t even match the original registrant to an email.

I didn’t see this change announced or in the change log. Can we be given a heads up before things change drastically like this? It breaks our solution for hundreds of customers.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @tommy,

Looks like these rules from the docs aren’t accurate anymore.

Here’s what I found with my testing this AM (anonymized real info):

• Case 1: John Doe johndoe@domainone.com - using Zoom without logging in (iMac)

• Registrant ID when registering: OwWzMgReRdu-aGu68QEflB
    • Participant ID when meeting completed: OwWzMgReRdu-aGu68QEflB
    • Participant name when meeting completed: John Doe
    • Participant email when meeting completed: Lgd_R8DXZNfTj2L0XzKZMiSUsN-kaKilevRS4S4ENa6g7Wssfyr6.H-GFuoxOBffzYFot@domainone.com
    • Conclusions
      • Same name is reported
      • Registrant ID & Participant ID are the same
      • Email is encrypted except the domain name (same as registrant)
  • Case 2: Lisa Cargill (lisa@domaintwo.com) - Using Zoom logging in Zoom with another email: Ben Salem ben@domainthree.com (iPhone)

• Registrant ID when registering: _oGEOFoNTLqC9soQU_BGPf
    • Participant ID when meeting completed: JXJdhVT4TvKp6yMIZrj6nb
    • Participant name when meeting completed: Lisa Cargill
    • Participant email when meeting completed: 9Uj3SNO9k6jpH_VGilPyhovgoF0gzs_wjwqh4bMHvRh8qfrr.eelaTcsnFrfy-h7V@domaintwo.com
    • Conclusions
      • Same name is reported
      • Registrant ID & Participant ID are different
  • Case 3: Jerry Seinfeld (jerry@domainfour.com) - Using Zoom logging in with the same email on Mac)

• Registrant ID when registering: ngyeNHW1S7mFnuyyqwlnmB
    • Participant ID when meeting completed: FjUFBPVhQs6ISiowyqaTDB
    • Participant name when meeting completed: Jerry Seinfeld
    • Participant email when meeting completed: TyWQUWetzsv6A3-fMWn8PQoTBT-JJo1Ubd1CBlNQBayhAcU.RTAhV8W_1XKgdaN0@domainfour.com
    • Conclusions
      • Same name is reported
      • Registrant ID & Participant ID are different
  • Additional conclusions:

• All Participants’ name showed accurately.
    • Host shows up as a participant as well

I’m seeing the exact same thing as Fred. Even though the doc says Participant ID = Registrant ID when registration required, it doesn’t. That gives me no way of matching a registrant created through /meetings/{meetingId}/registrants to the participant delivered in meeting.participant_joined webhook.

What’s the current recommendation to do this? For my scenario, it has to be 100% reliable and secure, as I’m charging a fee when we detect someone has joined the meeting. It can’t be an email, or if I had your email I could just charge all my office visits to you.

Hey @fred,

Are you saying the email is encrypted in the Participant Joined Webhook and Get Participant Report API?

What you found in your testing is correct, although maybe not optimal for case 1 and 2.

Basically if you register for a meeting, and you are logged into a Zoom account when joining said meeting, your Zoom user ID overrides the registrant ID.

We will work on improving this or adding another field so there is always a mappable id. (ZOOM-125626) (ZOOM-181169)

CC @saurabh @alden @neecholai

Thanks,
Tommy

Yes, I believe that is the issue. In short, what I need is to have the Registration ID that is returned from the Add Registration endpoint appear in the participant.joined webhook and Participants Report endpoint whenever a registration was made. We make all registration from the Add Registration endpoint. If no registration was made, I understand this field will not be available (anonymous or joined without registration).

Alden Gannon
Six Fish, LLC