Using expandApp outside of meeting context; alternatives?

Calling expandApp outside of meeting context appears to be unsupported.
SDK version: @zoom/appssdk - v0.16.7

When called it throws:
Error: API can only be called when the Zoom app is running in a meeting.

Is this expected behavior?
Is there a way to expand the window outside of the meeting context or while sharing?

How To Reproduce

Sample calling pattern:

const expandApp = useCallback(() => {
      zoomSdk
        .expandApp({ action: 'expand' })
        .then(() => {
          console.log('App expanded successfully')
        })
        .catch((e) => {
          console.log(e)
        })
  }, [])

Note:
I have also noticed similar behavior occurs during a meeting when the window is being shared as well. In this case it does not show the error but also does not expand the window.

I don’t think we have a method to expand a Zoom App outside of a meeting just yet but I’ve checked in with our team to see if we can expand this API.

On that same note, I agree it should show an error when screen sharing if that is the desired behavior. We’ll see if we can change that.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer @MaxM :pray:

Other than subscribing here: GitHub - zoom/appssdk: Build Apps that run in the Zoom Client, is there a way to stay up-to-date w/ releases (and ideally upcoming releases?)

I’ve checked in with our team to see if we can expand this API.

:joy: Well played :raised_hands:
I would love to know if this is planned!

It looks like we don’t have a method to resize the client outside of a meeting just yet but I’m working to see if we can add this.

in the meantime, you can stay up-to-date by subscribing to our developer newsletter:

Or by using the RSS feed from our changelog:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/guides/stay-up-to-date/changelog/

1 Like

I don’t think we have a method to expand a Zoom App outside of a meeting, It appears that the expandApp function of the Zoom Apps SDK can only be called when the Zoom app is running in a meeting. This means that it is not possible to use this function outside of a meeting or while sharing.

If you want to expand the window outside of a meeting, you may need to use a different method or function. I suggest looking at the documentation for the Zoom Apps SDK to see if there are any other functions that might be suitable for your use case.

1 Like

That’s correct, we don’t have an OOTB method for this just yet

Thanks @anawilliam850, from what I can tell there is no alternative yet. Hopefully its planned for for a future release. :pray:

If you’re able to share more information on your use case, I’ll see if our team can prioritize this. I think it would be a valuable feature and will work to get traction on this

@gibron @anawilliam850

1 Like

Sure!

We have an app that will have a large portion of the user experience purposed on sharing a larger view with inMeeting context and showing the larger view inClient context.

That larger view should be initiated from within the collapsed view showing thumbnails. We want users to be able to click on a thumbnail from the collapsed view and then expand the app window to full size when showing the full size view without the user having to fumble with screen size to “get it right”.

If useful I can send a video privately or provide any other detail that would help get this prioritized, thank you!

Thank you for sharing those details! I’ve forwarded this information to our team to see if we can prioritize the feature.

1 Like