Video element blinking (while video subscribing)

Hi!

I have noticed that video element blinks every time when subscribeVideo(_) is called.

There is a video example of blinking.

How can we avoid this blinking?

Thank you!

Hi @anton.yereshchenko, thanks for the post.

I think what’s happening here is a side effect of the asynchronous nature of subscribing to a user’s video. When you call subscribeVideo, before a single frame can be displayed in the video element, the SDK must first open a connection through which it can receive video and audio data. Until this happens, it displays a black screen, which is the default state of the element.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns with this behavior and we can look into this further.

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom thank you for your replay.

Can we avoid this behaviour now? If we can’t, how do you think it would be possible to add the feature request where let’s say for example will be the option for video element that will freeze the image on the subscribing video step instead of grey screen displaying.

Thanks!

Hi @anton.yereshchenko,

I don’t think it would be possible to avoid this behavior. It might be possible for us to investigate optimizing this internally in the SDK, but due to the small impact it might not be something that could be added to the SDK for a long time.

That being said, if you could provide a little bit of context around your use case/concerns here, I can definitely get the process started for looking into this in the future.

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom,

As far as we need to display a lot of number of cameras in one time, and to prevent the error with the number 6 we have decided to create cameras with smallest size and resize when it’s realy necessary.
But after camera resizing it’s neccessery to call subscribeVideo method to make the camera quality better.
And exectly every time after subscribeVideo method is called we see the blinking.

Thank you!

Hi @anton.yereshchenko,

Thanks for the additional context! Would you agree that a better solution for your use case would be to no longer require a re-subscription after resizing, instead having a seamless transition to the newly sized element? (Disclaimer: we would need to investigate whether this is possible)

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom ,

Thank you for clarifying! A better solution for me would be to get expected (good) video quality after resizing, because now if I don’t make subscribing after resizing I wouldn’t get a good video quality.

To be on the same page I have an image that illustrate those situations:

So quality increasing is the main case why I call subscribe method after resizing.

And exactly after subscribe method calling I get video element blinking. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

Hi @anton.yereshchenko,

Thank you for the feedback. I will submit a feature request for this and let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

1 Like

hi @jon.zoom ,

Thank you!

You are very welcome!

Conveniently enough, it looks like we may already have a feature planned to help with this in the next release. I am working on confirming whether or not this will meet your needs.

Thanks!

Hi @anton.yereshchenko,

I was able to confirm that this should be resolved in the next release. The method calls for doing this will be slightly different than the current flow, so let me know if you run into any issues when the release is available. Release timeline is a little uncertain right now, but keep an eye out in the next couple of weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jon.zoom!
you made my day, as always, thank you, it’s a great news.

waiting for the new release :crossed_fingers:

You’re welcome, glad we were able to help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.