New 'setResolution(:_)' method description

Hi!
The new release has a lot of useful changes, thank you!

And I have figured out from the change log that there is some feature that could help in this case and prevent the blinking.

Could you tell me a bit more about logic or usage of this method? Because there isn’t information about it. And I want to make sure that we are on the same page.

As I understand, it works similar subscribeVideo(:_) with only one difference - it doesn’t return to showing video after error 6 was received.
And am I right that setResolution(:_) works using rules that you have described:

• Only 1 user can be shown using 1080p.
  • Only 2 users can be shown using 720p.
  • Etc.

So it would be really helpful to know something more about this new method.

Thank you,
Anton.

Hi @anton.yereshchenko, thanks for the post.

Yes, the setResolution method should be helpful for your use case. :slightly_smiling_face:

Could you tell me a bit more about logic or usage of this method? Because there isn’t information about it. And I want to make sure that we are on the same page.

You can call this during the meeting to update the resolution of an existing video element. It can be called multiple times on the same element during a meeting.

As I understand, it works similar subscribeVideo(:_) with only one difference - it doesn’t return to showing video after error 6 was received.

It is not meant to be a replacement for subscribeVideo. This can be used multiple times while you are already subscribed to the user’s video. Usually if you receive an error code, it means that there was an issue related to the usage so the video cannot be shown for one reason or another.

And am I right that setResolution(:_) works using rules that you have described:

• Only 1 user can be shown using 1080p.
  • Only 2 users can be shown using 720p.
  • Etc.

Yes, these subscription limits remain the same as they were in previous versions.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom , thank you a lot!
And could I get the current ‘Resolution’ value for the particular video element? I think it would be super useful to know the displayed resolution of the video element and to know when and how it’s changed (notification, callback).
Thanks!

Hi @anton.yereshchenko,

You are very welcome! Regarding the ability to get the current resolution, that may be a little more difficult to expose than you would expect, but we can certainly look into it.

The ability to set the resolution was already somewhat publicly available in previous versions as it was based off of the view size. However, the ability to retrieve the resolution is typically only available with raw data access, which you may already be aware is not available.

I’m sure this is something that is technically possible, and definitely understand why that would be useful, but it may not be something as simple as adding a getter for an existing value. We can definitely look into this, but I just wanted to make sure we’re on the same page that it could take some time if we’re able to add it. I’ll keep you updated either way. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.