Webhook event never fires - log is empty

Hi there, I’m trying to use webhooks to notify us when someone has joined a webinar.

We have a Pro account.

I set up a webhook-only app in the marketplace, it is activated:

I added an event like this:

My endpoint is setup to accept POSTs and I have tested with the example JSON payload from webhook reference with Postman and it works fine.

The issue is that no events are fired during the webinar, if I go to: App Marketplace to view the webhook logs for the app then I see nothing, just empty:

This is despite joining a running webinar as an attendee, and the host being able to see people joining, this never generates an event.

Am I missing something? Is there an extra step required to enable this?

Thanks!

Using this template helps us debug your issues more effectively :slight_smile:

Description
Webhook app isn’t generating participant joined events in the log.

Error
No error, just no events.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
Webhook

Which Endpoint/s?
n/a

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
n/a

Screenshots (If applicable)
As above

Additional context
I’m wondering if this is an account issue? I created the app with a developer-enabled login, which isn’t the same as the team uses to create and edit webinars - we want to keep them separate, but they are both logins within our company/Pro account. If the app is by-login, then how do we create a webhook-only app that applies to all the webinars in our organisation?

Hey @ralphcapper,

Thanks for reaching out about this—happy to help look into it for you.

As a first step, can you confirm that the webinar you’re testing with belongs to the same account under which the Webhook Only app was set up?

Additionally, is your endpoint prepared to return a 200OK response on receipt of any payloads?

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will, thanks!

The endpoint returns a 200 OK, tested with Postman. The webinar is not created by the same account that created the webhook-app…

The app was created by a different account but in the same company, an account with developer privileges - ralphcapper@email-address

We don’t want the account that creates webinars to have developer privileges - webinars@email-address

If that’s the issue, then is there any way of making a webhook-only app that is created by one account, but then webinars created by another account in the same company uses/activates the webhooks?

If not then is there any other way of doing this? Or you are saying that the webinars@email-address will have to be given developer rights, then they create the webhook-only app? Seems crazy that there’s no way to create a company-wide webhook app?

Thanks for your reply and your time and help,

Ralph Capper

Hey @ralphcapper,

I see, thanks for clarifying!

I can confirm that the webhook app will need to be created under the same account, in order for events to be triggered.

If you wish to create a webhook app under one account, but authorize its use under another account, the alternative would be to create an OAuth app that subscribes to webhook events. This could be authorized by another account, separately, but that account itself would not need developer privileges.

Let me know if this helps!
Will

Thanks Will, that makes things clear. I would suggest that the documentation isn’t as clear!

If I create an oAuth app, does that need to be published as a public app, or this can be for our company only?

Which of these will I need for the scenario described?

• Account-level app: Choose this option if your app will manage users across an entire account. An admin will control the installation and management of this app across users in the same account.
  • User-managed app: Choose this option if your app will be installed and authorized by users individually and your app will only have access to the authenticated users’ data.

I really appreciate your help!

Ralph

Thanks for your help.

@ralphcapper,

Good questions—happy to clarify.

First, regarding:

If I create an oAuth app, does that need to be published as a public app, or this can be for our company only?

Yes, if the app will be used outside of the account it was created under, it will need to be published and undergo our review process. However, it does not need to be accessible to users outside of your company. You can put the authorization process behind a login page or paywall to ensure it’s only for your intended audience/company.

As for:

Which of these will I need for the scenario described?

• Account-level app: Choose this option if your app will manage users across an entire account. An admin will control the installation and management of this app across users in the same account.
  • User-managed app: Choose this option if your app will be installed and authorized by users individually and your app will only have access to the authenticated users’ data.

This will depend on if you want any user under the account to be able to authorize the integration so that you can receive webhooks for when users in their meetings join a webinar. If this is for your entire company’s collective webinars, you might consider an Account Level app. This could be authorized once by an admin or owner, and would allow you to receive webhooks for all webinars under the account.

Thanks!
Will

Okay thanks Will, I think that answers everything.

For the record, I’d say that webhook-only apps are pretty pointless in a company setting where it’s extremely unlikely that the same people will be deploying a webhook-only app and running the webinars. It’s a lot of extra work to create a full-blown app that needs to go through the review process for something that exists already, very simply in the webhook-only app format.

Thanks again for your help—this was better support than through an official ticket which has been disinterested and unhelpful this far (6 days and counting!).

Thanks for the feedback @ralphcapper, and glad I could help. In the future, if you have more developer related questions, don’t hesitate to open a ticket with us here directly.

Thanks!
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.