Which browser versions to support for Zoom Apps?

Which browsers are used in the Zoom Client and what are the oldest versions that are supported? I’d like to make sure we are using a polyfill that covers all the Zoom App browsers.

For example, I understand on Mac it uses WKWebView, which is based on Safari. What is the oldest OS / Safari version that Zoom Apps supports?

Even better, do you have the browserslist configuration for supporting Zoom Apps browsers?

Hi I just wanted you to know we are working on a good answer to this. The reason it’s complicated is we use 3 embedded browsers.

On Windows we use:

• WebView2 if it’s installed by the OS
  • CEF if it’s not available

On Mac we use:

• WKWebView

Each of these browsers has a different set of features.

• WebView2 is basically equivalent to the version of Edge installed by Windows Update. So it depends on the user’s OS version number.
  • CEF is updated by us, is basically equivalent to Chrome and is currently around 101, but we’re looking into if someone hasn’t updated Zoom what is the minimum CEF version.
  • WKWebView is basically equivalent to the version of Safari installed by Apple Software Update. So that should be minimum version Safari 10.1.2 [edit: because WKWebView starts support at MacOS 10.10]

I hope this gets you an interim answer while we do some research. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m wondering if you have any updates on this answer?

Similarly to the author, we were updating the browserlist config and weren’t sure what would be the best setting to ensure our zoom app works smoothly.

Thanks!

This is a good question and arguably the platform doesn’t help by overwriting the user agent field.

The only difficulty is from not knowing what users have done with their operating systems. Zoom Apps supports Mac 10.13 and above which means Safari 10 (as mentioned above) - in an ideal world. You might consider supporting down to Safari 8 if you’d like to err on the side of caution. CEF and Edge are more difficult. Consider trying to support browsers 10 years old or less - this is old enough that machines would very likely not even support the required version of Zoom.

1 Like