Zoom API & Vimeo Integration App use case help

We have an unusual use case that we need clarification on please. It’s to do with auditions, where we want to set up a video call between a Casting Director and an artist, and make sure the right footage is being captured. We’ve conducted an in-depth proof of concept and still have a few questions and concerns, so if there’s someone out there who can confirm with certainty how the app will respond that would be awesome.

In an audition, there is usually a conversation between a Casting Director and an Artist before the actual audition starts, and then again between “takes”. Our intention is to turn off the Casting Directors’ video, but not their audio, and then only capture the artist’s video in full screen. This bit is vitally important - we don’t want to show a black screen representing the Casting Director’s side of the conversation. It can still capture audio from both sides (although the Casting Director won’t be talking, so it doesn’t matter). Then, each time the Casting Director presses record and pause, we need to save a clip to our Vimeo account for future use.

To facilitate the above, we are planning to use the Zoom API to set up each Casting Director with a Zoom account, with appropriate presets applied to these Zoom accounts to drive the required outputs. And we’re also likely to use Vimeo’s Zoom app for getting the footage from Zoom over to Vimeo.

Our questions are as follows:

1. We’ve found under some circumstances that Zoom records the Casting Director, usually because they haven’t turned off their video in time. We’ve heard that there is a setting in account creation - handled via the API - that would automatically ‘hide non video participants’ in the recordings. Is this the case? We seem to recall seeing this as an editable configuration in our conventional Zoom accounts, but can’t seem to find it any more…not sure whether it’s been removed?

1b. Note there may also be multiple participants (artists, casting Director and clients) in these calls, where we would just want those with video turned on to be captured. Any thoughts on how we might optimise for this approach?

1. We’re also unsure whether there’s a risk these settings might change again in the future. As we’re about to invest significant time and money building these features, can anyone give us confidence that these particular settings are stable?

2. We’ve noticed that the version saved to the Zoom cloud - which generally follows the required behaviour, with artist only footage being captured - looks different to the version saved to Vimeo via the Vimeo Zoom app, with different users being captured. Does anyone know why this is, and what might be done to prevent it? Can default settings such as ‘hide non-video participants’ be setup with the API and Vimeo integration?

3. We’re curious about the option to ‘Optimise the recording for 3rd party video editor’. Does selecting this influence the Vimeo integration also as the quality seems lower or compressed?

4. Is there a way to make sure that the account created for the Casting Director has the Vimeo app already enabled?

Not sure if i should have posted this in Marketplace apps topic as it overlaps.

Please help! :smiley:

Hey @renee,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I appreciate the detail surrounding your use case, that’s very helpful!

Within the Zoom Client (5.8.3) you can find this under Settings > Video. However, we don’t have an API to control this and I wasn’t able to find an account/user level setting that would affect the recording.

If you would like this feature to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the #feature-requests category.

When using the Zoom Client, I don’t have an OOTB solution for this. If you wanted a customizable video application, you may want to look into our Video SDK which allows you to build your own application with Zoom doing all the heavy lifting.

While we want to keep the awesome features and only add to Zoom we aren’t able to guarantee the recording settings for a period of time.

This setting will actually allow more data to be included in the video for the purposes of later editing it. It’s possible that because this increases file size, Vimeo then uses a more lossy compression algorithm in order to maintain a file size and save space on their end.

We don’t have a method to provision a user with apps already installed, unfortunately. I think this would be a great feature request though!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Thank you Max for your detailed response.
I will definitely post in the feature requests section shortly.
Unfortunately the Video SDK isn’t a solution for us as it does not provide Scheduling, Cloud Recording, Waiting Rooms, Breakout Rooms functionality which is what our industry has become accustomed to.

Hey @renee,

Thank you for following up on this. I can definitely understand that, I think the feature request is definitely the best route in that case. Thank you for submitting one!

I’ll go ahead and close this topic now but feel free to open a new topic if you encounter any further issues or questions.

Thanks,
Max