Zoom Apps SDK: config method is intermittently failing with a timeout error

Hi all. Starting on April 15, a subset of our users have been affected by a persistent issue where the config request made by the app fails. Not all users (unfortunately, including our dev team) are affected by this issue. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas or insight as to why this would be happening?

Zoom Apps Configuration
React project using v0.16.19 of the Zoom Apps JS SDK. The config request is made using the Zoom Apps SDK. Users that have reported the issue have been on Windows. Here is the list of capabilities that the app requests via config.

capabilities: [
                // APIs
                'getRunningContext',
                'getUserContext',
                'getMeetingContext',
                'getMeetingUUID',
                'getSupportedJsApis',
                'openUrl',
                // Events
                'onBreakoutRoomChange',
                'onMyUserContextChange',
            ],

Description
For some of our users, when the app starts up, the config request made via the Zoom JS SDK is failing with a timeout error. For other users, everything works fine. These errors did not start occurring until April 15. Prior to this date, everything was working fine. We had not modified the app since March 8 which rules out this being due to some change we made to the app. We do have retry logic in the code in case the config request fails, but the issue happens with every retry attempt.

Error?
config took longer than 10000ms to respond

Troubleshooting Routes
This is challenging to troubleshoot as it only happens to a subset of our users. I have not been able to personally reproduce it, but it is definitely affecting our users. I have…

• Looked into the Zoom changelog over this timeframe and did not see anything obvious that would cause this issue.
  • I have updated the Zoom JS SDK to the latest version in the off chance that would help with no luck.
  • I have also made it easier for users to refresh our app when this occurs which will redo our app initialization flow which includes making the config request.

The one thing I have not yet tried is increasing the timeout from the default 10 seconds.

How To Reproduce
For users that are impacted by this issue, just opening the app fails as the config request fails.

I am experiencing the same issue. My app works fine on mac but not on windows. I have a similar stack - “React project using v0.16.19 of the Zoom Apps JS SDK. The config request is made using the Zoom Apps SDK.” No coding changes have been made on our side, either.

Also seeing this, posted about it a while ago Config took longer than 10000ms to respond. It would be great to get an leads on the error.

Yeah, this has affected 30+ of our users just in the last 24 hours, and there are other forum threads about this issue. As I mentioned , this error didn’t start happening to our app until April 15. All of this indicates that this issue is more than just a few users having network connectivity issues or something similarly benign.

Any response from the Zoom team one way or another would be much appreciated.

@shawn.nikkila @gabewells @brad.bicknell Thank you for reaching out about this. It sounds like this lines up with the release of our latest Zoom Client.

Do you know what version of the Zoom Client they are running? Does updating to the latest version resolve these issues for your users?

Let me know if that helps.

Hi Max - Thanks for reaching out. We are still experiencing the issue. I even tried to set the timeout to 20000ms but still no luck.

Here is the version that is being tested on.

Update:

I just updated to the latest zoom client, and it appears to be resolved!

We are seeing less instances of it happening after Zoom 6.0.4 on Windows was released. We’re in the process of verifying if this issue is resolved for some of our users.