Zoom Market place Apps Accessing Meeting Stream data

I am trying to work on a utility for Zoom meetings, that can access Meeting stream data(more specifically audio stream and transcript) and summarise the meeting notes from the meeting transcript/audio and provide it to the participants.
I have seen that the audio data is not accessible if participants have not enabled recording.

I have 2 questions from forum:-

1. Is there a way to enable me to create an App/Integration/Connector in zoom that can listen to meeting audio data without having to record it, if user have added my app into their meeting? If not then atleast prompt user to start the recording as when they add it to the meeting. And have my app access to meeting stream data for further processing.

2. What is the best Zoom developer integration to create such app for this use case that will work across Zoom meetings? Zendesk Market place? Zendesk SDKs?

Thanks,

Hi @nishaantshrm76
Thanks for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum and welcome to our community, I am happy to help here!

Unfortunately, there is no other way to get meeting audio data without recording the meeting.
And the expected behavior is that when you start recording a meeting, a message will be prompted to all participants about the meeting being recorded.

Regarding your second question, if you want this app to only join meetings to record them, you could work with an OAuth app. Feel free to navigate to our Zoom Marketplace where you will find all the different app types available:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/apps?category=recording-transcriptions&page=1

Thanks Elisa,
This looks like creating a zoom market place app which opens inside zoom client while we are in meeting.
I am looking into that already. I see that the app uses zoomAppSdk to interact with zoom client.
But zoom app sdk has very limited support, For e.g.

Can these Requirements be met using the Zoom Oauth App?

• I want to post chat message to the chat using zoomApp SDK is there a way to do that?

• Also want to show a bot as a participant for my App.

• I want my app to be started by default if the user has joined a meeting, is this possible using Zoom App framework/sdk?

• I know that host is the only person that can allow cloud Recordings, but if any participant wants to use my app to start the recording can this be done in a better way using Zoom App framework? Rather than asking for the permission to allow recording, if i dont have recording permission then App can send a prompt to the host in meeting to grant it?

Let me know if these question are confusing, would be happy to explain more.

Hello @nishaantshrm76

For Question 1, the answer is No thats not possible.

• Question 2 this is possible

• Question 3, yes this is possible

• Question 4, there is a way to do this, Please make sure when configured they follow the following guidelines

It’s very important for Zoom to ensure that users that may be recorded while using Zoom are giving their direct consent. To that end we have added consent prompts that display whenever the Recording features are used. See here for more information: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360061691631 We expect that your integration will trigger the Zoom client to provide these moments of consent as outlined in the User Agreement. Cloud Recording and Live Stream options are available for these features. We also provide a method by which Bots can request consent: https://developers.zoom.us/docs/zoom-apps/guides/meeting-bots-sdk-media-streams/

Regards, Kwaku

Hi @kwaku.nyante ,
You mentioned meeting bots using meeting SDK, from what i understood meeting sdk has platform dependency(mac, windows, etc) Is there a way around that? I dont want to develop a separate app for mac and windows to achieve this.

I have a Zoom App which is hosted on my servers(A web app) which is using ZoomAppSDK and can be opened in zoom client.

Hello @nishaantshrm76 , there is no way to avoid the platform dependency for SDK Integrations but when you do not want to have a dependency why don’t you use the web option?

@kwaku.nyante are u mentioning web meeting SDK? That will only work for Zoom web meetings? right??

Would Meeting SDK for Web work work for Zoom Client(i.e. Zoom on Mac application and windows Desktop application)

Hello @nishaantshrm76 Meeting SDK won’t work for a Zoom Client if your looking for an App type that interacts in the Zoom Client then your should be using a Zoom App.

Regards, Kwaku

@nishaantshrm76 , you can access the audio stream and transcript via a meeting bot as you mentioned. You don’t need to develop a separate app for Mac and Windows because the bot would not installed on your user’s local machine.

Happy to break it down how to do it. To build a meeting bot:

1. Spin up a server. We recommend AWS, GCP, or Digital Ocean.
  2. Use either the Windows or Mac Zoom SDK to launch an instance of the Zoom client.
  3. Once you have the Zoom SDK launched, and use the Raw Data functionality to extract the video and audio streams.
  4. This will return the video in I420 raw frames and audio in PCM 16LE raw format, so you’ll need to encode the audio and video yourself afterwards.
  5. Once you have one instance of this working, you’ll need to scale this across several servers if you want to run multiple bots simultaneously, which is required to have bots for multiple meetings.

Another option is Recall.ai. It’s a simple 3rd party API that lets you use meeting bots to get the raw audio/video from meetings + output video/audio without you needing to spend months to build, scale and maintain these bots.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks @kwaku.nyante ,

Can Zoom App have access to Audio stream from a live running meeting?

@nishaantshrm76 , the Zoom App can’t access the live audio stream. You would need to build an RTMP live-streaming integration or build a Meeting Bot. @kwaku.nyante, please confirm if needed!

1 Like

Yes @amanda-recallai that is correct couldn’t have said it better myself.

Regards, Kwaku

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 28 days. New replies are no longer allowed.