Zoom webhook status -12

Hi,

Zoom webhooks were working fine on my callback URL but since this morning I am unable to receive any callback. When I see the App logs in zoom, it shows status code -12 with reason: “responseData”: “sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target” Not sure why it has suddenly stopped working. My callback URL is https://shikhartp.in/api/callback/

We have also stopped receiving webhooks in the same time frame, and I have made no changes to my program. Zoom API status says all is operational but clearly, something is wrong. The program makes API calls too and those work, but it suddenly stopped receiving webhooks.

2 Likes

Me too, webhooks status code -12

Can anyone from Zoom look into it? Not sure about these errors or protocol here

Whats your endpoint tech stack

I’m using NodeJS with express to receive the post requests. I’ve been doing this for months without issue, and all of a sudden I stopped receiving them around when this thread was posted. I don’t receive any status code as far as I’m aware, because the events are not firing.

Hey @jon.antonopoulos and @vertexglobalservices

Thanks for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum, I am happy to help here!
Are you still experiencing this behavior?
In the meantime I will go ahead and reach out to our Engineering team to learn more about this Webhook status. (ZOOM-404750 internal ticket for reference)
I will come back with an update shortly
Best,
Elisa

Hi @elisa.zoom,

I am also experiencing this same issue with webhooks as well. It was working perfectly for the past several months and then on 7/21, I started seeing this issue. I will continue to monitor this discussion for updates.

Thanks,
Quinn

Same problem with about 80% of the webhooks that we should be receiving.
They appear in the logs with “-12 Status” and the error message described in the opening post. They never reach our server. We still receive normally the rest 20% of the webhooks.
We are only using the ‘meetings.participant_joined’ and ‘meetings.participant_left’ events.
Please look into the issue.

Zoom is one of the best video callings communities. Share and enjoy with your friends at a long distance with the help of Zoom. Thanks, Zoom!

1 Like

I have the same issue. Need help too

@vertexglobalservices , @apochr , @snskripu , @qwong ,

In checking with our engineer team, the status -12 error is caused by the supplied Webhook endpoint having an SSH certificate issue that we are unable to access. The error message is returned from the supplied Webhook endpoint, please check your SSH certificate configuration.

1 Like

Thank you for chiming in @donte.zoom :slight_smile:
I can confirm that the information you provided is correct, I confirmed with engineering team.
Thanks again!

The problem actually stopped on Thursday the 28th, without us changing anything from our side. I have confirmed that our SSL certificate configuration is and was correct, and that we provide the full chain of certification. The error message implied that the Zoom server did not recognize the root CA certificate.

Yesterday we started having the same issue. We have two applications with webhooks.
One of them at https://events.epresence.gov.gr has no problem at all, receiving all webhooks.
The second one at https://www.epresence.gr receives only about 20% of the webhooks. The rest fail with a status code of -12 and the following error message:

“responseHeaders”: false,
“responseData”: “sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target”

If you try to connect to both the above servers with openssl, you will be able to see that we provide the full certification path. The fact that some of the webhooks come through, confirms that the configuration on our side is correct. Please look into it, because, in order for us to continue to get real-time information about our meetings, we will be forced to use the /v2/metrics/meetings API endpoint which is in the category of the “Heavy APIs” with a low daily usage limit.

Checking to see if anyone has had progress on this issue? We started experiencing this issue on 7/20. There were no configurations changes made around that time on our end and the certificate was previously accepted by Zoom as valid. A review of the certificate on our end confirms that the full chain is included and it is recognized as valid in firefox.

I think the evidence points to a change on zoom’s side that broke some webhook apps. Can you recheck with engineering and share that multiple customers are reporting the issue started around the same time and that previously accepted certificates are no longer working?

@_steve @apochr

I’ve reached out to our engineer team regarding this matter and will provide an update as soon as more information is available. In the meantime, please kindly submit a support ticket so our engineer can take a closer look at what may be happening.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

ok I opened a ticket. It sounds like engineering is aware of the issue and looking for root cause:

“Upon checking on this, our engineers are already aware of this issue and currently investigating about the root cause for this. I’ve also send them the information that you provided on your response for additional data.”

1 Like

This is resolved for us now. The issue was infact that we weren’t including the intermediate certificate chain. My only guess is that zoom started checking for this last month as it was previously communicating use the cert. This site was helpful in testing our end of the connection: https://whatsmychaincert.com/