ZRC API - leverage 'Response Filters' to create Rules in JSON

Hi all,

I did some searching in this forum, but did not find what I am looking for.

I have used Zoom’s Room Controls with success, for one-way communications out from Zoom to Global Cache devices and other tcp connections. I have been able to leverage Methods, Styles, and Rules.

What I have not done yet is leverage the ‘Response Filters’ to create a custom event, which can then be defined as a Rule. Looking now at forum posts 29582 and 33916, and both are close to what I am looking for, but neither demonstrate the syntax to parse incoming data, which in my case would be a boolean value from an occupancy sensor.

The section in this support article demonstrates where the types of response filters show up, but I am not seeing any further info of what the syntax of the code looks like exactly. Any help would be appreciated, especially an example JSON config that parses 3rd party data and turns it into a custom event in the ‘rules’ section.

Thanks.

Hi @pgilligan,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Since our Technical Support team supports our Room Controls functionality, I will kindly ask that you reach out to them directly here. They will be the experts in this domain.

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

Thank you, Will! I have submitted a ticket, and will log back on here if I don’t get a response within a few days. It would be nice to keep this post up, in case somebody has done this before, or if I get the answer, I will post some sample JSON to demonstrate.

One feature request here would be to have the support article go over this deployment in detail, as it goes over all of the other sections in detail, and it seems that this was added on late…but lacking in info required to make it happen.

Thank you,

Hi @pgilligan,

Thanks for letting me know, and I do appreciate the feedback. I’ll be happy to keep this post up in the meantime.

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

Thanks Will. OK, so I was not able to reach out to Zoom because my boss controls the email for our ZR accounts, and they would not take my ticket without the credentials. I didn’t feel like going through someone else for the back and forth.

The good news is that Zoom does provide some sample JSON for the response filters, they pieces are just not in that help file for Room Controls. The sample JSON can be found here - Zoom Rooms display systems on/off – Zoom Help Center

If anybody has this curiosity, this is where they can look.

OK, this is actually quite frustrating. The help doc I linked has sample JSON, but now I need to look up the return strings from the manufacturer, because I’m not sure what the (.|\r|\n)*d is doing here, and I want to confirm what the actual string to be received is.

Well, the section about displays show what model displays they are, but the links to JSON are not for the displays, they are the SAME links for the projectors below in the file. The projectors section has the same links, which are correct, but do not tell you what model projectors they are…so I can’t look them up! Possible to fix this file??

Hi @pgilligan,

Thanks for sharing this feedback—I understand the lack of information in our documentation here can be a bit frustrating. At this time, the JSON sample you see listed in the help article is all of the publicly available information we have to share. However, I realize this makes it difficult to work with our ZRC API, and requires you to consult several resources on your own.

We hope to introduce more comprehensive documentation for use cases like this in the future, and I will continue to advocate for this internally.

If you run into specific errors from any of the Zoom ZRC endpoints, I will also be happy to help out however I can!

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.